Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Convertible sway bar?

SuperchargedRS

Well I have to get a new swaybar endlink bushing (guess now comes the measuring as to what size my 89' 4wd N/A loyale has).

So I was thinking, are there any detachable end links, i.e. pull a pin and the sway bar stores in the rear position for off-road, drive back on road move the swaybar down, lock it and go.

no, these are not jeeps.....

just take it off.there really is no adverse reaction when it is removed.SEARCH, there are plenty of threads about it.cheers,brian

Well I have to get a new swaybar endlink bushing (guess now comes the measuring as to what size my 89' 4wd N/A loyale has).

So I was thinking, are there any detachable end links, i.e. pull a pin and the sway bar stores in the rear position for off-road, drive back on road move the swaybar down, lock it and go.

anybody who is serious about actual performance and not just spending money on stuff that looks cool doesn't buy "off-road" sway bars. they're a joke.

if you're that set on having them connected for the street, remove the bolt from one end-link. that will render it useless. if that's too much for you, replace the bolt with a pin of somesort.

That's what I did. then the first time I disconnected it, I didn't feel like reconnecting it for a short drive on the street. it was never connected again, removed it all together not long after that. it's a very small change.

seriously. don't knock it unless you've tried it. the front sway bar does so little on the street.

also, if you're at stock height, you won't see much improvement by removing/disconnecting it.

and if you're lifted. you've got no business driving like you need sway bars.

seriously. don't knock it unless you've tried it. the front sway bar does so little on the street.

also, if you're at stock height, you won't see much improvement by removing/disconnecting it.

Bingo!

+1

I drove my 4" lifted wagon like it needed sway bars. I always left my swaybar on, but I don't think it did much honestly. The body roll would just flop over and fully compress the suspension on the outside of the turn anyway. Once it was set over, it was stable. It was a bit unnerving when you'd switch directions and it would roll over the other direction. Scared the bejusus out of my friends but it never was unstable. Even like that it was way more stable than my stock suspension toyota tacoma is. Better in the woods than my truck too.

Edited by WoodsWagon