Ultimate Subaru Message Board

AC leaking oil, screeching drive belts...?

02' Legacy GT Wagon.

Drive belt(s) are making screeching noise. It is correlated with the steering, so I guess the offending one is the one that drives alternator and power steering pump.

Was at the dealer today, they did replace the belts at my request, but they also provided the following theory, that I am not sure I can believe:

"Your AC compressor is leaking oil, and that oil is making belts noisy, so the new belts may also be noisy again..., and you are going to need a new compressor soon...".

At some point dye was added to the AC system, and there is indeed plenty of it around the compressor, although AC runs fine. So I am wondering, if compressor is leaking oil, wouldn't it be also leaking refrigerant? Is it compressor leaking, or is it a fitting on it?

Even if this is true, does it mean that I am looking at investing a new compressor really soon, or is it going to be just a gasket on the fitting?

-Michael,

02' Legacy GT, wagon 134K

Well, before I would buy their idea that the leaking oil is from the compressor, and causing the belts to make noise (squeal?), I would suggest cleaning the compressor and adjacent area, and do a wait and see, if you can spot any new leakage. Who knows, maybe it is just a fitting that needs to be tightened. Have you been the owner, when the dye was added to the A/C system, or know why it was added to the system? Knowing the answer, might provide insight as to why the compressor is oily to begin with.

If you've had any engine work done recently that required the crankshaft pulley to be removed (timing belt, for example), make sure that the pulley isn't loose/wobbling. That can cause accessory belt squeal, and eventually a lot more trouble if not caught in time.

Well, before I would buy their idea that the leaking oil is from the compressor, and causing the belts to make noise (squeal?), I would suggest cleaning the compressor and adjacent area, and do a wait and see, if you can spot any new leakage. Who knows, maybe it is just a fitting that needs to be tightened. Have you been the owner, when the dye was added to the A/C system, or know why it was added to the system? Knowing the answer, might provide insight as to why the compressor is oily to begin with.

Yes, I am the original owner of the car. The dye was added about 4 years ago when the AC was diagnosed to be low on refrigerant and refilled. That dye on the compressor has been accumulating over all that time... May be it was getting more of it lately. But yes it's a good idea, thanks, I'll try to clean it and see.

If you've had any engine work done recently that required the crankshaft pulley to be removed (timing belt, for example), make sure that the pulley isn't loose/wobbling. That can cause accessory belt squeal, and eventually a lot more trouble if not caught in time.

This might actually be a good call, as the screeching sound started appearing also when the car is warm, and when the engine revs change - e.g. when taking off and braking, not just when steering. But it does go away after driving few miles and engine warming up.

It had the headgaskets replaced last April, ca. 12Kmiles ago, with the rest of the "works" - timing belt, driving belts, seals, alternator,etc...

How do I check the pulley? What is "tight" enough. It does not look like wobbling, the driving belt tension seems fine, I did not look at the timing belt.

Thanks,

-Michael

The bolt that retains the crank pulley is supposed to be tightened to about 130 ft-lbs.

Let's try to pipoint where the noise is coming from. If you start the car when it's cold, and turn the steering wheel without moving the car, do you hear the sound? If so, get a spray bottle and put some water in it. With the engine off, spray the belt that drives the alternator and power steering pump (be careful - don't get water into the alternator). Start the engine and see if the sound is temporarily changed. Try the same with the belt that drives the A/C. Let us know what happens.

The bolt that retains the crank pulley is supposed to be tightened to about 130 ft-lbs.

Let's try to pipoint where the noise is coming from. If you start the car when it's cold, and turn the steering wheel without moving the car, do you hear the sound? If so, get a spray bottle and put some water in it. With the engine off, spray the belt that drives the alternator and power steering pump (be careful - don't get water into the alternator). Start the engine and see if the sound is temporarily changed. Try the same with the belt that drives the A/C. Let us know what happens.

Will do, just have to dig out of snow first....

-Michael

Well, the sound is gone with the new belts, so no testing so far.

I think my beam-type torque wrench from Sears does go that high.

So, how would I check/retorque the pulley? Is that the one that both driving belts go thru, about at the center of the engine front?

What is the socket size there?

What's the trick of holding it while tightening? It's the Auto trans.

Yes, the crank pulley is located where you described, and you'd need a 22 mm socket. Normally the flywheel would be blocked to prevent the engine turning while tightening the bolt. At this point you might just verify that it's not loose without trying to hit full torque, since if the new belts eliminated the sound, then it's not likely that the crank pulley needs attention.

• 3 weeks later...
I have a squeaking belt in the morning with stiff steering issue appearing now. I will try your water spray trick and report back here. Is that supposed to temporarily recondition the belt to perform better?

Water is a lubricant. If the noise disapears then you either have a loose belt or a bad belt.

nipper

02' Legacy GT Wagon.

Drive belt(s) are making screeching noise. It is correlated with the steering, so I guess the offending one is the one that drives alternator and power steering pump.

Was at the dealer today, they did replace the belts at my request, but they also provided the following theory, that I am not sure I can believe:

"Your AC compressor is leaking oil, and that oil is making belts noisy, so the new belts may also be noisy again..., and you are going to need a new compressor soon...".

At some point dye was added to the AC system, and there is indeed plenty of it around the compressor, although AC runs fine. So I am wondering, if compressor is leaking oil, wouldn't it be also leaking refrigerant? Is it compressor leaking, or is it a fitting on it?

Even if this is true, does it mean that I am looking at investing a new compressor really soon, or is it going to be just a gasket on the fitting?

-Michael,

02' Legacy GT, wagon 134K

Sounds perfectly valid to me. Some compressors have a crankase that hold oil, some have oil in the refrigerant, some have both. No it wouldnt be leaking refrigerant, eventually it will seize up. You can just wait for that to happen if you dont beleive them, but then it would add the cost of a receiver/dryer and to flush out the AC system.

nipper