Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EJ Swap into a 79 brat...

Jake DMC

It's a lot of work. Rails need to be notched, You'll want to put in a 5speed as it's much stronger. Then you'll need custom driveshafts and propshaft. The whole wiring loom will need to be redone too. You'll also want to improve the brakes. I'd budget around $10K if you're not going to do it yourself.

Ya I thought it would be alot cheaper... I can't see sinking that much dough into my little beater. $10,000 saddle on a $450.00 horse but thanks. For $10.000 I might see about stuffing in a blown supercharged 426 HEMI with NOS and 22" spinners and maybe I might even have enough left over for some fuzzy dice for my mirror.:headbang:

I spent about $2k on my EJ22 swap... I could have done things nicer, but by no means did I cut any corners.

This was in an '86 wagon, that the EJ22 drops into.

In a Gen I brat, there will be some more fab work to get it to work, but I don't think it would be horrible. Really, its all a matter of how nice you want it to be.

I could see material costs for this swap costing between $2k-$3k. (motor, wiring, radiator, driveline, metal, etc...)

Labor is what is going to hurt this swap. If someone is charging you $100/hr labor... you'll burn through $3k in 30 man hours. I think it would be perfectly possible to do a decent swap job with that much time, but others may not.

I wish I had the time and space to do something like this for you. If I did, I'd think $1500-$2000 labor would be perfectly reasonable.

Makes ten grand and warrantable work seem reasonable, doesn't it? I'm prolly $3gs into mine already I'm just short time and exhaust work. 5+5=donor, wiring, adapters. 5 fuel and driveline, 5 +2 motor rebuild, clutch and 2 trans and 2 misc, parts alone. Haven't done bearings, bushings, axles, brakes or shocks.

Oh ya 10 Grand is easy to put into a build. This is my 1st brat and my 1st gen 1 so I was just feeling it out. Didn't realize how much went into it. I have a 94 loyal and it seemed that it was a pretty simple swap so I just "ASSUMED" and we all know where that gets you. The little 1.6L runs like a top so thats how she will stay. for now....::brow: If I want to go faster I'll just take a spin my 06 Outback. If I can ever get the wife out of it... I see why they call it that I am always saying "get OUT and give it BACK"

-Jake

Bring me your car, you source an adapter plate and flywheel. and i will drop a EJ18 in it. you can drive it away for $1500 for the engine and labor... may have some cost for other small stuff...

This is only due to the fact that i currently have an EJ18 ready to rock sitting on my gerage floor, with the wiring and all done...

PM me if interested...

Bring me your car, you source an adapter plate and flywheel. and i will drop a EJ18 in it. you can drive it away for $1500 for the engine and labor... may have some cost for other small stuff...

This is only due to the fact that i currently have an EJ18 ready to rock sitting on my gerage floor, with the wiring and all done...

PM me if interested...

Dave, Gen 1's have the top-mount starter, its not a drop-in swap with an adapter plate..... At the very least you would need to swap in a 4 speed d/r from a 81+ Gen 2, which would require making custom shifters unless you find a 81 Brat D/R.

-Bill

The stock motor purrrs like a kitten and feels stronger i.e. more power then my 94 loyal so until it blows I'm keep'in it like it is. I was just curious and now that I know what is involved I just can't see sinking that much into it. However if I happen to win the lotto I could see a WRX motor going in and with the knowledge I've gained from Bill he'd get the task of stuffing it together. 305HP Brat? +/- 2000Lb.= WOOHOO!

-Jake