Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Crank Pully & Timing cover

Hi all,

First, many thanks for all the GREAT info, has helped alot!

On my second Subaru, had a 84 GL wagon years ago..great car.

Finally got an Outback, so far another great car!

Doing some work and replacing the timing belt and tracking down an oil leak, I think that it is the Power steering pump! On trying to remove the crank pully, bought a chain wrench as suggested, except that the outer crank pully turned and the inner did not. I assume that this is not normal and a new pully is in order. Also, the timing cover is toast, almost worn thru, by I would assume the bad and out of specs crank pully. Anyone had similar problems and can confirm!

Thanks, Jay

That's not just a crank pulley. That's a harmonic balancer. I think a chain/strap wrench to hold the HB while trying to remove the crank bolt is a bad idea.Especially in your case where you have a balancer and not just a simple pulley.

Also,once you turn the outside against the inside of the balancer,it's pretty much done.

Everybody has a trick way of gettin the crank bolt free. All the one's I know have already been discussed in the forum,here.

Edited by markjw

I got the bolt free after checking a thread and using the access hole in the bell housing, worked well. I think that the Harmonic was already bad as my Timing cover is worn out due to rubbing by the pully. Checking to see if anyone has had a simliar problem. Also, anyone used the aftermarket pully?

Thanks again, Jay

Separation of the two metal parts of the crank pulley due to failure of the rubber portion is not uncommon. Damage to the timing belt cover by rubbing of the pulley can happen from two causes -- either the pulley bolt being loose, or (as you found) the pulley coming apart. I'd suggest replacing it with an original part.

A lot of factory EJ's used solid pulley's. I'm not sure what the criteria was for which one's got harmonic's and which one's did not - but I've seen both. In fact the non-harmonic seems to be more common. Most of the EJ22's in the 90 to 94 Legacy's have solid pulley's.

They are not keyed to the shaft - just held in place by bolt tension.

GD

Thanks....A dealer sells an aftermarket solid metal pulley, trying to see if anyone has used it. Not to many Subarus in Houston, makes it hard to find used parts...may just have to get all new!

if you have the time to wait on shipping, post a wanted ad in the classifieds here. i'm sure there are plenty of them available from members.

i'm pretty sure 90 - 99 ej22 and ej25 are the same, probably up thru 2010 as well.

As mentioned very common to see the outer "ring" seperate from the balancer itself...I would also recommend the use of a solid pulley...I know my 96 EJ22 has a solid pulley...I would be willing to bet you could take a trip the the salvage yard and pick up 1 if not 2 to be on the safe side...for pretty cheap...What year is the outback? Are you sure its not the HG leaking oil/coolant?

Not leaking from HG as far aas I can tell , but still looking. So far it looks like a combination of the power steering pump and oil pump, but still checking.

Thanks to all....Jay in Houston!

Front main is in the oil pump housing - that's a not-uncommon leak area. Same with the cam seals - those are the biggest source of oil leaks on EJ's.

GD