Ultimate Subaru Message Board

My passenger rear brake is locking up sometimes when I come to a stop. Makes it very difficult to get going again. I can usually get it to release by pumping the brakes.

I've bled the brakes clean a couple times and replaced the caliper, to no avail. My car has ABS and only 1 channel is locking. So I'm wondering if there is a sticky valve or some such thing in the ABS.

If any of you have any ideas, I'm all ears. Thanks in advance.

The ABS works the entire brake system - it doesn't have the ability in this car to control one brake caliper any differently than the others.

So it sounds to me like it's not ABS related and is more likely something from the caliper - back to where it joins another line. So caliper, hose, or fitting/valve - i'm not sure what resides bewteen the calipers and MC or ABS unit in the engine bay.

If you suspect ABS issues you can just pull the fuse on the ABS and your brakes will act like any car without ABS. But I dont' think that's necessary here as it doesnt' sound like it's caused by the ABS.

Does it do it when it's up on jacks as well?

Can you push the piston back into the caliper, take a screw driver and get it between the pad steel lip and the caliper bracket. It should push back in with steady pressure.

If it's blocked, I'd crack the line up at the top of the wheel well and see if it goes easy now. If it does, the flex line is the problem. Otherwise work you way back to the MC.

Lot's of brake bleeding will be needed if you open the system this way.

Collapsed fleaxable brake line not releasing pressure would be my guess.

Is it a new caliper?

nipper

It is a refurbished caliper purchased from Kragen. Like new.

Did you clean the slider pins and regrease them?

It came with new pins/bolts and i used the grease provided.

it being a 1996, there would be no money loss putting on new rear flexlines. The car is old enough where it would not be considered throwing money at a problem.

nipper

I'll look into it, especially considering the ABS advice also found in this thread. Thanks guys. Keep the sound advice coming =)

This is something that I have heard MIGHT affect a car with ABS, but since I don't have ABS I can't confirm this but here it is...

I have heard that if you don't use a vacuum type brake bleeder for ABS cars, you can't bleed the brakes completely, still leaving a little bit of air in the lines. This has something to do with the ABS pump and the vacuum it produces. Here's a pic of the bleeder that I was told to get if I had ABS brakes:

http://shop.oreillyauto.com/ProductDetail.aspx?MfrCode=MTV&MfrPartNumber=MV8000&CategoryCode=3378

Don't know if what I said is true, but it might be something to consider. Also if I am completely off base, please correct me on this. I would like to know if this is true or not myself...

Just a thought...

This is something that I have heard MIGHT affect a car with ABS, but since I don't have ABS I can't confirm this but here it is...

I have heard that if you don't use a vacuum type brake bleeder for ABS cars, you can't bleed the brakes completely, still leaving a little bit of air in the lines. This has something to do with the ABS pump and the vacuum it produces. Here's a pic of the bleeder that I was told to get if I had ABS brakes:

http://shop.oreillyauto.com/ProductDetail.aspx?MfrCode=MTV&MfrPartNumber=MV8000&CategoryCode=3378

Don't know if what I said is true, but it might be something to consider. Also if I am completely off base, please correct me on this. I would like to know if this is true or not myself...

Just a thought...

On some cars yes, but most cars no. Subaru is not one of them, but you do have to bleed from the closest wheel first.

nipper

On some cars yes, but most cars no. Subaru is not one of them, but you do have to bleed from the closest wheel first.

nipper

Good to know! Sorry for the hijack, but do you know why this doesn't apply to subarus? I am just curious on exactly what I read, and why it affects some cars, and not others. Thanks!

Good to know! Sorry for the hijack, but do you know why this doesn't apply to subarus? I am just curious on exactly what I read, and why it affects some cars, and not others. Thanks!

Because there are many different types of ABS systems out there, so many differnt procedures. Some cars have the abs built into the master cylinder, haninging off the master cylinder, a seperate pump, differnt feed back loops etc. Thats like asking why do all cars look different (or used to).

You can vac bleed, but you dont have to.

Because there are many different types of ABS systems out there, so many differnt procedures. Some cars have the abs built into the master cylinder, haninging off the master cylinder, a seperate pump, differnt feed back loops etc. Thats like asking why do all cars look different (or used to).

You can vac bleed, but you dont have to.

Ok, that makes sense. I have never had a car with ABS, so I have never looked into all the different types of ABS there are, or really ABS in general since I have not had a need. Maybe it's time for some help from google to learn about ABS... So it makes sense that different manufactures have different system (DUH!) :rolleyes: Thanks for the response nipper! Also good to know that you don't have to vac bleed a subaru. Hijack done :)...

Is this car a manual?

IIRC, the 96 model manuals use the hillholder. And further I believe it is connected to ONLY the rear right wheel.

Perhaps....just perhaps.....the pin that keeps the ball off it's seat when the clutch is out has rusted away? Gotten stuck?

IDK......disable the ABS (pull fuse) aqnd if it still does it, then I would HIGHLY suspect the hillholder.

Is this car a manual?

IIRC, the 96 model manuals use the hillholder. And further I believe it is connected to ONLY the rear right wheel.

Perhaps....just perhaps.....the pin that keeps the ball off it's seat when the clutch is out has rusted away? Gotten stuck?

IDK......disable the ABS (pull fuse) aqnd if it still does it, then I would HIGHLY suspect the hillholder.

Interesting for sure. I've noticed that it stick particularly badly when I stop on an uphill slope. Does that sound crazy or not?

Yes, It is adjustable.

So I looked into it and I'm certain my hillholder is crapping out. The cable is adjusted very loose yet it continues to stick. Any ideas how to defeat the system altogether? I know how to drive a MT and don't think I need hill-holding.