Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Anybody know what this is

Ok I was draining the oil out of my tranny on my 84 Brat. Along with a sizeable mass of metal shavings stuck to the drainplug this was stuck to it:100_3166.jpg?t=1266825764

100_3165.jpg?t=1266825797

Any thoughts on what it might be? Tranny has been getting really noisy for a while. Wondering how long it will last.

Richard

It's one of the pieces of a synchro, the FSM calls it a synchronizer hub insert. Missing one will cause some problems shifting gears. About 12 years ago I had a 80 hatchback that would only shift into 4th gear after making a sharp right turn. When I drained the transmission before doing a transmission swap I found one of those on the magnet.

exactly! The original tranny in my Red Brat had one of those fall out the first drain I did. I kept driving it, and over time, the tranny got noisier and "loose" sounding.... especially after wheeling it for the Mudwest 2 event.... hammered the snot out of it in the mud, and driving back 3 hours on the interstate, it just got horrible... when I pulled onto my street, the noise was echoing off the houses :)

I drained the tranny before pulling it for the scrap pile, and 2 more of those "keys" fell out...

that's when I did the 5 speed swap :)

Probably from the synchro on the Dual Range gearset.

Happens when the thrust bearing on the rear of the upper shaft gets sloppy. Lets the shaft walk "back" away from the gearset.

Most likely the trans has been damaged.....but not impossible to repair if nothings grenaded yet.