Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1990 Legacy Turbo vs. non turbo parts

I found out about a 90 Legacy Turbo wagon for sale with blown head gasket(s) that is supposedly in excellent condition otherwise. I wonder what others think it might be worth, as is, and how different an animal it is from my own 90 Legacy sedan non turbo, i.e., if I used mine for parts, would there be much that is interchangeable?

Both are 4EAT, both are 1990, one is a sedan, the other a wagon. The wagon for sale is thought by the seller to be worth a good bit because he recently spent over 2 grand on a trans rebuild and radiator.

My perspective is that, with blown head gaskets, it can't be worth a whole lot.

Also wondering how good/bad the turbo models were.

My experience with other brands is that turbo cars always have more problems, sometimes directly related to the turbo itself, others the result of changes that were made to make the car a turbo.

Any thoughts/perspectives appreciated!

The US did not get the turbo Legacy until 1991. So if the seller is insisting it is a 1990, I would ask for the VIN and run a verification to see if the seller has his info mixed up.

I wouldn't expect to pay more than $3,000 or so for one in good condition and working. You'll see some as low as $1,500 that aren't in great shape. With the blown head gaskets.....it'll have to be a judgement call on your part. I'd get the VIN, verify what exactly it is, run a blue book value based upon condition and see what it comes up with and then offer the seller what you feel is fair. The turbo Legacies are not that rare to command an exorbitant amount for, especially for one that has blown headgaskets.

If the trans was rebuilt that is a plus, as that is usually something that needs attention especially with higher mileage, but shouldn't drive the price too much.

Hope that helps

Just to add a bit to Josh's info above.

The US didn't get the Turbo wagon 'til '92. The '91 Turbo was avl. as a sedan only. The turbo wagons had upgraded interiors (leather?) and had a rear badge - 'Touring' - to ID it.

And both of us have swapped a Legacy turbo EJ22T into our '90 Legacy's (Josh also swapped in a complete AWD drivetrain, too!).

If it was swapped, ensure that the Seller knew what they were doing...it's not that difficult, but there are sensors/wiring/ECU/Drivetrain/etc that need to be changed.

The EJ22T and non-turbo EJ22e are very solid engines and rarely blow HG. Makes me think there's something else wrong in the tuning or the swap that caused the HG to go.

A rebuilt trans is a definite plus, but be sure it's a Turbo trans (they have a 'J' in the part number).

Td

Watch out with "blown HG's" on the EJ22T's. The one I own was sold to a fellow member here with "blown HG's". Turned out the whole engine was shot - melted part of one of the cylinder liners, destroyed the bottom end, blew the heater core and the radiator. He paid $1500 for the car then spent another $1200 for a good engine, and about another $1000 on various parts to fix everything that was broken. He got so frustrated that he traded the car to me for a good running non-turbo wagon and I finished the work it needed. Frankly it wasn't worth what he paid nor the work the car needed - he lost money on the deal (I made out like a theif, but that's beside the point).

So just watch what you buy. These engines rarely blow HG's and when they do it's often because things went REALLY wrong. Check for serious overheating - melted plastic like timing belt covers, knock sensor, etc.

GD

Many thanks to all 3 of you for the input.

I now know a lot more than I did about the T vs. non T.

I think I have decided to pass on the Turbo, with what you have told me, and keep my eyes open for a better example of something closer to what I already own (90 Legacy, EAT) that has a better body.

I do see newer ones (95, 96,97) models for sale with blown head gaskets and engine trouble that have nice bodies.

I would prefer a wagon with a decent body (my car is a sedan with a very beat body) for which my car could become a donor vehicle.

Which begs the question: How new a car could I buy and expect to use my old EJ22 (and perhaps 4EAT) as replacement parts?

As I understand it, the 2.5 is the one with the head gasket issues.

Could my old 90 car's engine be installed in a newer one with a blown engine?

The engine in my car has no overheating issues and has 115K miles on it, which I know to be actual.

Thank you again for all the help and information.

I love reading this board!

The main issue you run into with swapping motors in the newer cars is that they are OBD2. So you need to utilize the sensors meant for the OBD2 ECU. You may be able to utilize the long or short block, but I don't think things will be a direct plug & play swap.

Also, the '95 had EGR on the Automatic cars and possibly all '96+ EJ22's. So you'd have to tap your '89-94 EJ22 for the EGR's lower connection. SEARCH on here for more on EGR issues...comes up on the EJ25>>EJ22 swap.

The intake manifold from the newer EJ22 should fit the older model, which will keep the proper sensors. The Phase I ('89-98 EJ22) all used the same intake manifold bolt pattern, from what I've read on here.

Td