Ultimate Subaru Message Board

How to replace a EA82 dashboard?

-> Hi, its me again. I have a noob question again. I tried the search feature and nothing came out. :)

-> I just bought a '92 Loyale 'parts car' for $150, but the interior is blue. but I'll go unique style so I'm going to convert my interior from 'AZ gray sandstrom coat' to 'CA blue clean coat' (yeah, my gray interior is THAT dirty, might sell it one day, and yeah I made up those names :P).

-> My question is is how to remove/install a dashboard. The guy who provides the parts (more EA82 parts still available ph#702-591-2883 look for Marc) doesn't know how to remove it. So I need help again, I need it off by this week. Many thanks guys! :)

Two suggestions:

1. Put a For sale sign on it. Sell it and replace it with a Gen 3.

or

2. Stock up on your favorite pain reliever/ muscle relaxer. After you contort your body to reach all of the screws/ nuts/bolts in all of the hidden recesses while lying on your back upside down, and raking your knuckles over unseen sharp edges, you will want to hit them hard, along with a generous dosing of your favorite beverages.

-> Hi, its me again. I have a noob question again. I tried the search feature and nothing came out. :)

-> I just bought a '92 Loyale 'parts car' for $150, but the interior is blue. but I'll go unique style so I'm going to convert my interior from 'AZ gray sandstrom coat' to 'CA blue clean coat' (yeah, my gray interior is THAT dirty, might sell it one day, and yeah I made up those names :P).

-> My question is is how to remove/install a dashboard. The guy who provides the parts (more EA82 parts still available ph#702-591-2883 look for Marc) doesn't know how to remove it. So I need help again, I need it off by this week. Many thanks guys! :)

I agree too, its not worth it, i have taken maybe a dozen dash assemblies off and out of the car apart, it is not an easy job, putting one back is a job i hope i don't have to.

removing the dasj is easier if you drop/remove the steering column. drop the ecu from the steering column and leave it plugged into its connectors

there are 3 bolts across the top, 1 on each side of the lower portion, and 2 below the radio. the dash hangs on mounts just behind it. there is a ground wire on the console bracket, dont for get that.

you will need to unhook the heater cable from the heater box to the right of the gas pedal, and the vent cable on the left side of the dash above the hood release.

everything will unplug from the fuse panel, left and right kick panel, pedal assembly, AC temperature thermoswitch and heater fan. therew are 2 vacuum lines, one on each side, coming from the firewall to plastic lines in the dash itself.

myself, with prior experiance, can pull a dashboard within 20 min

interesting idea with swapping colors, suppose you could do blue dash with blue door uppers, and grey door panels and seats against blue carpet, grey center console.

I have a crazy idea to swap an XT dash into an ea82, supposedly they will bolt in

Can i make this suggestion.

1st off opinions are like A Holes.

2nd i dont think a blue interior would look good with your red car. I just personally think the colors contrast. Having a blue interior myself i find it hard to find replacement parts because most seem to have the gray one.

If i were in your shoes i would be just replacing whatever you need to replace only in gray. You would be amazed on how much time it takes to convert the whole thing over from another color. I know because i had a complete parts car and pondered it alot.

Let us know what you did.

If you do decide to remove the dash, you should also replace stuff while your in there, like the heater core, dash lights, etc. Anything that you might have to remove the dash again later to get to if it breaks. Might cost more now, but save a huge headache in the future. I have to replace my heater core, and I am not really looking forward to it at all :-\

If you want to know how to remove the dash, search for "heater core replacement" or something like that, there are a couple howto's for that and they tell you in detail how to remove everything. Miles did a great job of condensing it down though :)

-> Hmm...this really gets me thinking hard. The only primal reason for me to replace the dash just really because that the dash is dusty beyond comprehension! Looks like removing a complete dashboard is a daunting task for me (and Marc) to undertake. :(

-> I can do an alternative and maybe use a matching gray-colored spray or look for a mint gray interior...I'll just get the instrument panel and whatever I can get my hand to on my last trip to "Blue" (the parts car).

-> Many thanks for the tips!!!! :)