Ultimate Subaru Message Board

good ole gl

well after a few weeks of relative silence, i thought id update on my wagon, not that anyone is keeping tabs but knowledge is power.. :)

i sprung a leak, a big un, on the coolant feed line, to the turbo. so i took her apart again, and swapped out the hose. for grins i asked the guy at autozone if they had it, knowing they did not, and that i would pretty much have to fab one, although cutting a straight hose to length is hardly work, lol.

i finished installing the electric fan controller, and electric fan. it kicks on roughly halfway up the temp scale. so far so good. im in the process of wiring in the second fan to the controller and then finishing out the wiring so it looks neat and tidy, as it does not at the moment.

by request i have left my jungle of electric yellow zip ties intact, but will soon be replacing them with clamps, they have just been a bugger to find.

after a week of good running i noticed the day before yesterday, as i came to a stop at the office, that the temp was slightly above halfway, and that is abnormal, so i checked and the secondary fan was not kicking in. as per the instructions, i put the probe for the temp sensor up high on the radiator, and because it was no longer kicking on, i was left to assume that i was low on water. after a brief walk around on the car i saw the coolant RETURN line from the turbo sort of urinating on the axle, and at the rate it was flowing im glad something else didn't 'splode from a lack of coolant (like the engine). after a day or two of cussing and making odd noises and faces i got it repaired temporarily. i wanted to pull the turbo and swap it proper but the previous mechanic used a nice variety of incorrect nuts and washers :mad: the first two nuts came right off, but the third was REALLY on there, to the point where i was concerned about breaking off the stud in the turbo housing. so i stopped short, replaced all the nuts and washers, and will go get proper nuts in the near future, and soak the thing in penetrating spray overnight to break the stuck nut loose..here's hoping... notice there was no mention of a fourth nut? that's because there isn't one :banana: always a party in gl land.

then i discovered that a large vacuum line was unhooked, so i reconnected it, and after all that, i can safely say that in light of all that ive seen so far, my hesitation is going to have to be a knock sensor or the TPS. im leaning towards tps, but if someone can tell me where the stupid knock sensor is, i'll check it, lol. im getting that jerking hesitation still, and i believe its one of these, as i finally replaced the o2 sensor and though it seems my gas milage went up, im still hesitating. :rolleyes:

Edited by wagaru

wow! did u ever determine what the problem was?? im trying very hard to figure out this hesitation, but sadly, im not getting the kind of assistance i had hoped for. :P through a simple process of elimination, which is the most costly method of diagnostics, i have narrowed it down to 3 things, tps, knock sensor, or wiring issue. i hope thats the only 3 anyway. im a good painter, but not a brilliant mechanic, lol. im hoping that i can get the 250$ tps soon, pricey little critter. im going to test the old one with my multimeter, and see if its working properly first, though...:banana: in the mean time, pictures! :

1001949.th.jpg

subaru was one of the early japanese manufacturers with a built in cup holder..

1001950.th.jpg

the mystical zip tie forest, made to widthstand the test of...not alot of time?

1001951.th.jpg

evil vacuum box of death, now with repairs

1001954.th.jpg

leaky hose, volume one

1001955.th.jpg

super clean tb.

1001958z.th.jpg

bad hose, next to good replacement hose.

1001959a.th.jpg

still figuring it out...:banana:

and as always, anyone with ANY insight on this, please help!:eek:

foot note: i am aware of the basic shortcomings of zip tie vacuum clamps, and when i got the car there were NO clamps, these were installed as a back up plan untill i could find proper sized ones locally. any posts flaming me for being an idiot will be ignored. :) now calling me an idiot for something legitimate? totally cool.

Bill. what are the chances that you caryy a fire extinguisher these days?

Actually I found a simpler solution: I dont drive EA82T cars anymore :banana:

Never did figure out the problem, the compressor housing on the turbo melted into the turbine, along with almost everything on the engine. Never got the ambition to dig into it to find the real cause before I pulled all I wanted and could save off the burnt hulk.

-Bill

wow, thats pretty hot! this is concerning to me as well, but i have not found anyone with a real answer to the issue im having, so im just having to swing and miss and hope someone pops up with some knowledge on this :-\

I have seen hessitation from loose timing belts on EA82's. Had one that just wouldn't stop hessitating at stop lights, etc. Sometimes it would even stall out (automatic). The driver's side belt snapped on the freeway and after replacement the hessitation never returned.

Just another possibility for you :).

It's hard to find help on the older turbo's - mostly because those folks that ran them and had a lot of knowledge about their intricacies have left them in favor of the EJ's - less expensive to build, more power from the outset, and big reliability increase. Getting really cheap these days too.

If you really want to make it right - I sugest you consider something like MegaSquirt. The aging components of the stock MPFI system are one of the biggest problems you are going to run into - many of them can be done away with or converted to newer, more reliable, and easier to obtain parts if you just do away with the stock computer and run a stand-alone system. MS is relatively cheap and when you scrap the car you can move it to the next one.

GD

lol they do. it's really a higher form of southern engineering, see, because im not using bailing wire and duct tape yet, though these concepts are not far off the map, if needed. im not driving that one until i get the front pulled, replaced and repainted, i just had to get it home the night i went and got it :lol:

im SO gonna get one (fire extinguisher), on the next check. along with a ton of hose clamps. :banana: no word on the knock sensor?? any takers? cmon

KNOCK SENSOR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :banana: anyone, anyone at all?? its like a puzzle no one wants to solve. just a pic of the knock sensor, oh please!!!! :slobber: maybe a map to it, or its gps coordinates, something, anyone!!!!! Q_Q