Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Need to replace doors on 97 Legacy Outback

My 97 Legacy Outback is running great, but the road salt in upstate NY is taking it toll. The latest victim is all 4 doors. How hard is it to replace the doors? Any special tools needed? Any considerations for this job?

Thanks,

John in NY

Doors are really easy to swap out. I pulled all 4 off a Legacy not too long ago, very easy. It's like 4 bolts and a pin and unplug the wiring harness. I've never actually had help so it's possible to remove and install yourself, that's how I've always done it. But man is it a wrestling match, having a help to get the last bolt off or first in would be really nice as they are awkward being so big.

I believe at least for the rears that the hinges are bolted on and then the door bolts to the hinge - so if for some reason you can't get the bolts off the body off - just unbolt it from the hinge. I remember I had to do that once for some reason.

No for the impreza. The 98 Legacy is what you'll want. Any 95-99 Legacy doors (see notes below about 95/96) - sedan, wagon, whatever, all Legacy and OBW's are the same DOOR. The only differences are the interior panels and cladding - so for that you'd want OBW stuff if you're trying to buy matching parts.

95 and 96 doors are the same but sometimes i think they lack the wiring if you have heated mirrors, the interior lights, or possibly that additional "lock/unlock" button the passengers side door panel. But otherwise they're the same base part.

Obviously you don't want brighton wagons as they have crank handles.

I have never done Leggie doors, only VW Jetta doors. I just wanted to comment that doors are heavy. Yea, you can pick up one and carry it away, but must weigh about 75 pounds each, and is an awkward shape to maneuver and carry.

It is best to have a helper when doing a door R & R, especially on installation, when the door has to be aligned just perfect to get the hinge bolt holes to line up.

Just a heads up for making the door install a bit easier. In the shop we cover a floor jack with an old piece of carpet, and put the jack under the door bottom edge, and jack it up to the proper height before putting in the hinge bolts. Much less of a hassle this way.

I am intersted, but it will have to wait till mid April. Are those doors from 97? Mine from 96. How do I wire the extra door lock switches? Also do they still got original paint?

Thanks

I have 4 green outback doors in PA, no rust out $25 each picked up. I really just want them gone.

I am intersted, but it will have to wait till mid April. Are those doors from 97? Mine from 96. How do I wire the extra door lock switches? Also do they still got original paint?

Thanks

I think they are from a 97. You'd just swap the door wiring harnesses over. Original paint. They will probably still be here in April, unless I get sick of looking at them and scrap them.

• 2 months later...