Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Mazda rotary bolt up?

I just was checking out some old wrecked subarus. There was an Older RX, I wanted to see if the engine-turbo was still all there, and to my surprise there was a Mazda rotary under the hood. I believe It was an unmodified 5 speed push button 4X4 transmission (the original fuji starter was still in place). Has anyone here ever heard of such a thing? I would like to make and offer on this engine and couple it up to a D/R 5 speed If there aren't any specialty bell housing adapters necessary.

It is a surprsingly small engine. Aside from the fun of doing it, it is going to get poor gas mileage. I think you may have to keep the mazda accessories as i dont know how sooby stuff will hold up to the higher Rpm's. But looks like fun.

nipper

Ive seen this on the web befor, I wonder if its the same car? Sure would Be sad if it was.

http://cp_www.tripob.com/rotary/pg04.htm

This isn't the same car. I made a typo, it was in a XT turbo car. It had an aftermarket intake manifold with a holley carb, and the oil filter housing looked like an oil cooler.(plate exchanger. I'm going to try to talk to him today.

Ive been looking for engine options for my BRAT for a couple years. It seams like theres really only 2 good options for most of us: Rebuild the EA81 (if you can find the parts) or find an EJ. I had seen the page I posted a while ago and did some resurch on it. I found that sawp to be unrealistic for me to do. Those engines seem even harder to find than ours.

I would only consider this if I had an extra Subaru to do it too and alot of time. If you can get the whole setup cheap (I would take the whole drive train, radiator and all accys) that would rock, if not dont waiste your time. Take photos of the setup too, befor you yank. Better yet get the whole car. Wankels are pretty decent but different units. As stated you may loose some economy but you WILL gain in high rpm action. It wont be easier to find parts, and wont give you any real durabilty gains as these motors have their own set of weaknesses. Fun unuiqe project, but alot of work. Read that site I posted it had a few details about the swap. If you get some pics post em' up, Ide like to see it.

There is a pair of two ea81 Gl Hatches set up for iceracing in my nabourhood with 13b rotary engines installed. They use ea82 dual range trannys. They used an adaptor plate to mount the engine. Also, they found the subaru clutch was not capable and through trial and error found a sutable hybrid clutch, pressure plate, flywheel set up that held together.

The rotary motors did eventually eat up the low range on the trannys, but these were raced hard and often. Even hillclimbed.