Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Mystery Wires

Picked up my 88 GL FI wagon yesterday. Going through it today I noticed quite a few wires not connected to anything.

IMG_0008.jpg

1. This is on the drivers side near the front.

IMG_0009.jpg

2. Drivers side by firewall.

IMG_0011.jpg

3. Passenger side by firewall

IMG_0007.jpg

4. Coming off the alternator

Any ideas? Car runs decently (starts first try, idles fine, no stutters) but would like to cure my curiosity.

Cars are not built with all the connectors used. Options that you do not have will still have places to be hooked into the harness - they don't build a custom harness for each car - they build a handfull for all of them and just don't use the wireing for accesories you don't have.

As mentioned the twin green / twin white are the diagnostic plugs - don't connect them unless you are pulling/clearing codes or entering D-Check.

Yes - all cars have some form of radiator fan. If you don't have one it's missing.

GD

Pic 1 - Im sure this for aircon, depending on what type of compressor was installed

Pic 3 - These are for airconditioning when installed, some suby's have the wiring looms installed at the factory even know aircon wasn't fitted. These plugs connect to the relays and the idleup vacume solenoid.

Pic 4- Again, aircon connectors, one for the compressor clutch and other for Pulse coil

Cars are not built with all the connectors used. Options that you do not have will still have places to be hooked into the harness - they don't build a custom harness for each car - they build a handfull for all of them and just don't use the wireing for accesories you don't have.

As mentioned the twin green / twin white are the diagnostic plugs - don't connect them unless you are pulling/clearing codes or entering D-Check.

Yes - all cars have some form of radiator fan. If you don't have one it's missing.

GD

I knew that cars come with extra wiring, this is just the first one with this much! My Miata has the extra dongle for the hard top defroster, but not two bunches of 6-7 wires and a few other here and there. For the green connectors I thought they might be diagnostic ones. I had to connect them on my 9-2x Aero the first time to flash the ECU with a COBB map.

Hmm, looks like Ill need to source a fan then, mine is missing. I guess Ill head to the JY and pick one up with all mounting brackets/wires. Anything I need to look for when picking one out? Any specific model have better fans than others that would work on my car?

I am missing the elecric fan. I dont know about the wiring for the fan yet. I am not DD it, just doing projects on it every afternoon until I feel comfortable driving it to work with 70 mile round trip on 75 MPH interstate. Still need wheel bearings, ball joint, a couple tires, and a fan. It is drivable, but I also want to feel safe aka no more shaking, clanking, and free from chance of overheating. So, look for a daily "Help!" post if I cant find answers from searching

The electric fan is always included on the EA82's - it's the mechanical water pump driven fan that is not included if the car didn't have AC. All of them have the thermo-switch activated electric fan though. And from your pictures you don't have the mechanical fan or AC either. So you NEED to install an electric fan.

It WILL overheat if the car isn't moving without something to move air across the radiator. That's a gaurantee.

GD

Yeah, I did a bit of Seafoaming yesterday outside of town. After idling for a bit then adding a bit of throttle to help introduce the liquid, the temp decided to jump up after a while. Not into the red or the top white line, but high enough to worry me a bit. 30 seconds after getting underway again, temp dropped right back down.

The JY’s around here are not that great. Most don’t actually let you go into the yard or are just plain unfriendly. Ill try to check out one installed (figure out wiring), then remove it today. I hope to get the car into 70 mile @ 75 MPH shape by the end of next week. Ill tell you what though, this old car is pretty fun to wrench on. That and forums like this have so many great people and SO much information it makes any repair possible (with patience).