Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Jacking EA81 during head removal?

I am in the process of removing the heads on my 84 GL and in the manual it recommends to remove the engine mounting bolts and jack up the engine under the oil pan. What would be the reasoning for this? I am pulling the heads off with the engine still in the car. This is a first for me. Thanks.

Not neccesary. The bolts for the rocker's come out through access holes in the frame rail. They may not have known about those or they might be talking about EA82's where the valve cover bolts are difficult to access without jacking the engine up. These days everyone has a 10mm ratcheting wrench though and that makes even those easy to do without jacking the engine.

GD

You really can't believe everything they say in those repair manuals. As they sometimes are wrong with procedures and torque specs. Chilton is one that I have noticed to be wrong on some things with the older Subarus. Haynes on the other hand seems pretty good (Not great) but good.

-Tom

you can jack up the engine for better clearance, but there is a proper way.

instead of going by the oil pan, jack it up by the trans by the front diff. remove the pitch bar first. this is what you do if you were pulling the motor also

If the motor wasn't in just the right position for what ever reason a gentle pull back with a straight claw hammer under the engine by motor mount is all I have ever needed to wiggle engine to get push rods to slide through the frame holes or to align bolt holes to install bolts on motor mounts ... no need to jack up on motor, it isn't that heavy.