Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Bolt on 90 amp alternator

I'm not sure exactly, whatever stock they have left of the cases is how many I can build

It's probably more than how many people will be interested though

edit:

So there's no way I can build these for $100, not even close. Looking more like $175

Probably too much, considering there's no warranty or anything :/

I built mine out of junk parts we had laying around, but to build a brand new one, parts are going to be around $150.

Alternatively, I could probably get people just the casing and they could swap whatever they wanted into them. Go to the junkyard and pickup a 12si off an old GM truck and buy a rebuild kit?

I dunno, the option is there if anyone wants me to get them one. If not, guess I've got a unique mod :D

Edited by Splinter

I'm not sure exactly, whatever stock they have left of the cases is how many I can build

It's probably more than how many people will be interested though

That's cool. Would you be willing to sell just the case? I wouldn't mind having the case around, and then when the time comes, just go buy the internals, or a whole new alternator for that matter, and put it into the new case.

Edited by eulogious

I do like the idea - with the custom casting that makes it a lot more attractive.

The Maxima alts that I sell are just used one's that I've picked up, installed the v-belt pulley on, and tested..... you tend to see a lot of cars at the yards that have had recent component replacements - like alternators. I guess people try to fix them up and then lose the motivation. While I try to find newer one's and I test them, they still don't have a warantee. But a new AC-Delco Reman is $100 on rockauto.com and then you just swap the pulley over. Rockauto has them for as little as $72 after you get refunded the core charge. The $100 I charge covers the price I paid for the used one, shipping, and my time to install the pulley, etc. And even at that I haven't sold very many - people are here are tight-wads and they say they want one but the money never comes though. Point in fact I've only sold two of them. :rolleyes:

I think you should offer these in larger amp versions. Both for on-board welder setups, and maybe the occasional gigantic stereo that a few folks around here are intent on having. I don't think it makes sense for the 90A simply because the Maxima option is already there. I would consider something in the 150 amp range to power an on-board welder though.

GD

I could put together a 160 amp unit, but there would be absolutely no warranty, gaurentee or any other 'tee'

It also wouldn't be cheap.

But for an on-board welder, wouldnt you want a seperate alternator anyway, defeating the bonus of having it mount in the stock location?

I could put together a 160 amp unit, but there would be absolutely no warranty, gaurentee or any other 'tee'

It also wouldn't be cheap.

But for an on-board welder, wouldnt you want a seperate alternator anyway, defeating the bonus of having it mount in the stock location?

It depends on how you wire it. You can set it up so it can be switched between the car and the welder. Most off-road setups will run fine on the deep-cycle battery for a short time (and dual battery's are cheaper and more redundant anyway). Depends on what kind of duty cycle you want. If you plan on welding for an hour straight it's probably a good idea to have a seperate alt - but for a 10 minute job it's no big deal.

How much are we talking for a 160?

Or how much for just the cases and then people can rebuild them with a high-output kit?

GD

I am...floortom here, I just bought a maxia alt for the swap, I havent put it in yet due to changing the pulley and spacer. I live next to wrecking yard row, so parts are plentyful. What model, year ect. are you using?

great pics. thanks in advance, floortom

I guess I should ask this, but I think I know the answer, I just want to verify… Will this work in an EA82? I see splinter has a brat, but from what I have read from GD, the brat's just use an ea82 alt nowadays, so this should work on an ea82, but I just wanted to make sure :) Thanks!

I guess I should ask this, but I think I know the answer, I just want to verify… Will this work in an EA82? I see splinter has a brat, but from what I have read from GD, the brat's just use an ea82 alt nowadays, so this should work on an ea82, but I just wanted to make sure :) Thanks!

The only EA82 setups I would be concerned about for fittment is the ribbed belt XT's, and the turbo's with the alternator inboard of the AC compressor. In the former case the pulley is wrong though that may be an easy fix, and in the latter case the stock Hitachi is so tight that I doubt the slightly larger delco case would even fit. Maybe..... but I doubt it.

GD

The only EA82 setups I would be concerned about for fittment is the ribbed belt XT's, and the turbo's with the alternator inboard of the AC compressor. In the former case the pulley is wrong though that may be an easy fix, and in the latter case the stock Hitachi is so tight that I doubt the slightly larger delco case would even fit. Maybe..... but I doubt it.

GD

That doesn't bode well for me then :-\ I have the alt in between the PS and the AC compressor. What are my options then? Am I screwed :-\

That doesn't bode well for me then :-\ I have the alt in between the PS and the AC compressor. What are my options then? Am I screwed :-\

I just remember them being really tight in there. I have pulled a few at the yards and there's more swearing involved with the inboard alt than any of the other models - since the alt is almost totally surrounded with brackets on all sides except the top I would be seriously concerned about how the delco would fit in there.

Two solutions - either the Hitachi Nissan Maxima alt would fit (maybe), or you could switch over to the inboard AC compressor setup as used on the non-turbo's or perhaps convert entirely over to the ribbed belt system of the XT turbo.....

GD

I guess a size check on this new alt would be in order as well, before I go jumping to conclusions on this too...

Splinter: Could you measure the size of the case so that I could compare it to mine and see what the differences are?

Thanks for the help GD. I will have to research this some more and find out an answer for us turbo owners :-\ Gotta love that turbo!

I've put Maxima alts on EA82s in both the inboard and outboard locations.

The Maxima alt fits OK on an 89 (SPFI) EA82 with the alt inboard of the AC compressor. It's very tight, but it can be done. One trick I used so I could use the same V-belt size as with the original alt was to pull the power steering pulley, put the belt on the maxima alt and other pulleys, and then slip the power steering pulley (with the belt already on it) back on the power steering pump shaft. I think that this is probably the only way to use a small enough belt so that you can properly tension it - if you use a larger belt, the alt will not move enough to get the belt tensioned.

All of you putting bigger alternators in - don't forget to use a heavier wire for the output of the alt back to the + battery terminal with maybe a 120A fuse/circuit breaker. The Subaru wiring and fusible link won't cut it.

I also made an adapter using the Maxima wiring harness connector and a Subaru type connector so I could easily switch back to the original alt for a spare if necessary.

I've put Maxima alts on EA82s in both the inboard and outboard locations.

The Maxima alt fits OK on an 89 (SPFI) EA82 with the alt inboard of the AC compressor. It's very tight, but it can be done. One trick I used so I could use the same V-belt size as with the original alt was to pull the power steering pulley, put the belt on the maxima alt and other pulleys, and then slip the power steering pulley (with the belt already on it) back on the power steering pump shaft. I think that this is probably the only way to use a small enough belt so that you can properly tension it - if you use a larger belt, the alt will not move enough to get the belt tensioned.

All of you putting bigger alternators in - don't forget to use a heavier wire for the output of the alt back to the + battery terminal with maybe a 120A fuse/circuit breaker. The Subaru wiring and fusible link won't cut it.

I also made an adapter using the Maxima wiring harness connector and a Subaru type connector so I could easily switch back to the original alt for a spare if necessary.

Thanks for the info! Good to know that there are options for me :D

• 2 weeks later...

So can you just toss a delco 12si into the bratt if your willing to make the bracket? I have an 85 with the AC....The engine must be an ea81. Or would it be better/easier to get a 2nd stock alternator and run it? I just plan on running a winch or LOTS of lights. No one said how many amps the stock ones put out. BTW new to the forum.... First time bratt owner, however my brother and his friends have had 25 wagons all in the 80-86 vintage (Hi low tranfer case).