Ultimate Subaru Message Board

my impreza has devloped a bad habbit this week

of something not working...:banghead:on my way home the gear box basicly froze (5spd) it wouldnt let me in 2nd and when i tryed to get out it wouldnt let me eather...so i talked to my friend and he said syncros...any ideas on how much that works gonna be or if its some thing else?

Check the linkage for the shifter first. If there is any slop in the bushings it can bind and give the impression of being stuck in gear.

Also check the fluid level and the condition of the fluid.

A more common reason for a manual transmission to stick in or out of gear is the clutch is failing to fully disengage. This could mean there is air in the hydraulic lines or the cable is out of adjustment depending on which type of actuation system the car has.

Another common problem on Subarus is for the release fork to crack near the pivot. This causes the fork to flex more than normal and can prevent the clutch from disengaging. Unfortunately, this one requires removal of the transmission to repair.

well 2day when i went to drive it it acted like nothing happend :banghead: :banghead: but it like to squeak at low speeds or inbetween gears if i drive it hard but i didnt bring it any where to be checked out

You just answered your own question.

People fail to understand why you cannot launch, smoke show tires on a AWD car. There is more grip at all 4 wheels on the AWD car. Friends with FWD or rear wheel drive cars can sit and spin tires, because only 2 tires are putting down traction. On a AWD car, there is less ability to lose traction, tires will not spin, instead, transmission is like GLASS. The break when they are abused.

done

I have been following your threads, First you wanted to make it fast. I warned to search on NASIOC about fragile like glass transmission, but a mod on here pulled my Thread on that. Not sure why they pulled my thread, as that advice was what you need.

yea i understand that and i dont launch it all the time...maybe like once or twice a month

You can not hard shift these transmissions. The syncros are weak. It acted like nothing happened because it cooled back down. It will only do this a few times before it grenades.

You have learned the hard way what NOT to do to your transmission. I once owned a 97 5psd Impreza. I did a panic super hard shift from 1st to 2nd while trying to avoid being rear ended at a stop sign. I avoided the rear ending but I couldn't get the car out of 2nd for the drive home. The next day I got it out of 2nd but it wouldn't go back in. 1,3,4,5 and R all worked fine. My car was almost brand new at the time. Took it back to the dealer. They pulled apart the transmission and found the 1-2 shift fork was bent.

The bottom line is the cars do have limits and in almost any subaru the tranny is the weakest link because of the AWD and massive amount of force that gets generated by the traction of all 4 wheels. In your era of car the transmissions have a real issue with the syncros and shifting with 1st and 2nd gear. I'm sure by now you've noticed you have to be at almost a complete stop to get the car into 1st. Don't force it or you can cause the same damage. They've gotten much better as the years progressed. My '06 shifts like a dream when compared to my 95-97 era cars.

Good luck on getting it fixed.

Keith