Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I just bought a '97 OB today with 149,000. The seller is a mechanic who literally just finished replacing head gaskets, cam & crank seals, t-belt & tensioner, outer belts, radiator, AC condenser, and handful of other AC line seals. The body and interior is about as good as it gets

The car drive AMAZING (for being 13yrs old w/ 150k) and I think I got a killer deal ($2900). Despite the deal, there's a couple looming issues that I'd like to get input on.

- The seller said after the overhaul, he was getting a reoccurring CEL that was linked to the EGR valve. There is a vacuum modulator above the drivers manifold that has 4 lines coming of it. He said he bypassed it and the CEL went away. That vacuum valve/modulator now has 2 lines that are cut short and just hanging off of it. This is the 1st car I've ever owned with this big of a vacuum system. I don't know much but this raised an eybrow. Any thoughts?

- Also, the only non-woking feature on the car is the cig ligher/ power outlet. I got ambitious and tried to trak it down tonight. In my quest I discovered a TON of open end plugs under the steering column. I've seen cars in the past with one or two open ends because of optional features not on the car (heated seats, sunroof, etc), but this sems excessive. There's an inline fuse connection that's missing a fuse - no clue what it goes to?? MY first thought was amongst all the disconnected plugs was that the seller BS'd me on the CEL and he just unplugged something that would keep the CEL from coming on. Is this normal on a standard Outback?

- Lastly... The only major repair I foresee is the steering rack. It has a slight leak at the top (shaft seal). I priced racks and they are cheaper than I expected ($220-ish) with inner rods. It looks like an easy job - am I wrong?

Thanks in advance for the insight guys... If anyone needs any Jeep advise, I'll be happy to trade. Being a newbie again sucks :)

Welcome aboard, tricked. Being a newbie ain't no big thing here (unless you want to ask really stupid questions!)

Can't speak to your questions but I'm sure you'll rouse some knowledgable responses. Enjoy that OBW. Hope your man used the latest version OEM HGs--might want to ask him.

- The seller said after the overhaul, he was getting a reoccurring CEL that was linked to the EGR valve. There is a vacuum modulator above the drivers manifold that has 4 lines coming of it. He said he bypassed it and the CEL went away. That vacuum valve/modulator now has 2 lines that are cut short and just hanging off of it. This is the 1st car I've ever owned with this big of a vacuum system. I don't know much but this raised an eybrow. Any thoughts?

- Also, the only non-woking feature on the car is the cig ligher/ power outlet. I got ambitious and tried to trak it down tonight. In my quest I discovered a TON of open end plugs under the steering column. I've seen cars in the past with one or two open ends because of optional features not on the car (heated seats, sunroof, etc), but this sems excessive. There's an inline fuse connection that's missing a fuse - no clue what it goes to?? MY first thought was amongst all the disconnected plugs was that the seller BS'd me on the CEL and he just unplugged something that would keep the CEL from coming on. Is this normal on a standard Outback?

- Lastly... The only major repair I foresee is the steering rack. It has a slight leak at the top (shaft seal). I priced racks and they are cheaper than I expected ($220-ish) with inner rods. It looks like an easy job - am I wrong?

Thanks in advance for the insight guys... If anyone needs any Jeep advise, I'll be happy to trade. Being a newbie again sucks :)

leave the green and black wire connectors alone. they are for diagnostic purposes and if you plug them in your car will run funny and throw lots of codes. there may have been a cd changer or "car phone" that was removed. the car phone left a total mess under the dash of my 97 GT (and under the passenger seat.) i removed it. they had these neat little spade type wire ends to plug into the fused side of the fuse panel. neat trick to power an add on, i just pulled them all out. the other thing that could add to the mess is the wireless door lock / alarm system.

if the cel comes on when you turn on the key, test, but isn't on when driving the car you are ok. the proof will be in the driving / gas mileage. if it runs well and gets decent mileage you are good.

check your fuses for the cig lighter. under the dash on the driver side. if they are all good there may be a loose connection on the back side of the unit, but that it rare, usually it's a fuse.

some times the threads on the power steering lines get boogered when re-installing the engine. i'd look there first. you may be able to get it on correctly and tight enough to stop the leak. next, if is the rack, i'd try some Trans-x stop leak for power steering . the stuff works well on SOME trans seal issues and it has worked well on my wife's 97 avalon PS leak. (i replaced the rack and the pump still leaked, added trans-x and no more leak.) these racks are usually pretty hardy, leak free and don't fail often. if you need to replace it a used one is a pretty safe bet but 220$ sounds like a good price for new or re-man. some one on the board should have a used one or you can look here: http://www.car-part.com

is this your first subaru?

have you found the virgin switch yet?

welcome aboard.

yep - first Subaru. I have always been a Jeep guy. We live in WNC and 4wd is almost mandatory. Our built up Wrangler on 35's has been a daily driver - and at 13mpg, its time for something more economical on rainy days and road trips into Asheville or Atlanta.

No - I'm clueless to the "virgin switch" ..do tell.

The "virgin switch" is located on the top of the steering column and is used to illuminate the parking lights with the key off and out of the ignition ( my best guess is off-road use)...Every now and than we will get a post on here about someones parking lights being left on and they cant figure out how to get them off, usually the switch is flipped, When I got my Legacy years ago I had this problem and I felt like such an idiot when I learned what it was...:lol: