Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Just bought a 97 OB that had cold air when I got it (3 weeks ago), but doesn't now. It has a new condenser and some o-rings. It wasn't ice-cold when I got it and the seller and I checked the lines - if anything we thought it was overcharged. Compressor seems to be cycling fine.

I am not an AC guy at all. If it was cold, but isn't now - common sense tells me its a leak. My question is... are there any common AC issues on this that I can check on my own w/o having to pay an AC guy to look at? Do the symptoms raise any flags?

The o-ring on the compressor are real common leak points.

The condensor is another real common leaker (Sounds like that has been replaced though.)

If the compressor is cycling still, but you are getting warm air it is likely very low on refrigerant. You could also have a plugged expasion valve if it is not cooling properly with a full charge.

Check the charge on it and report back!

It looks like the high side service valve is indeed the culprit. I took the cap off and I could see very tiny bubbles slowly (very lowly) forming at the base of the valve.

Is the valve itself replaceable or do I need the line from the compressor to condenser replaced? I've replaced valve inners before on common schrader valves, but this does not look to be threaded that deep - maybe it is? I took some narrow needle-nose's and tried turning the bar to "tighten" the valve but I don't think it moved. There is still definitely 134 in the system - but apparently not enough.

Thoughts?

• 3 weeks later...

yes they are replaceable by yourself. just have to find the right size, which is kind of annoying. i've always had to take them into a store and have them visually matched.

you can remove and replace just fine. then you'll need to recharge.

they actually make a really nifty tool that allows you to remove and replace a schrader valve without loosing refrigerant but few folks will have that tool.....and the mechanics that do probably want to charge you mad money for other parts too, not the 50 cent valve.

funny thing is - these valves are very common to leak but how many "$50 A/C repair jobs" have you heard of when someone goes to have their A/C fixed? never happens.