Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EA81 SPFI conversion or ea82 swap?

'87 Brat. I'm looking at a local EA82 car for $250 for parts. Says it runs, but needs some work. Is it better to do an SPFI conversion on the EA81 engine, or just swap in the whole EA82 engine into the Brat?

Probably going to try to swap the suspension bits over in the front as well, so I can get the wider track(and hopefully more travel).

Thoughts? And the EA82 car is a 5 speed D/R, though I already have done that swap in my Brat.

It's been done without splitting the case but I wouldn't. It's very invasive work and if you replace the pistons you will have to replace the rings which means at least a bush-hone to seat in the new rings..... that's a lot of WD-40 and metal to be throwing around inside the case which can't easily be cleaned without splitting it. Plus the engine has to come out of the car to access the rear cylinder wrist pin removal ports (behind the bell-housing).

GD

Got the donor vehicle today. Runs, but not great. Before it runs for a bit, it wants to die if you don't hold the gas down. After it warmed up(drove for about 30 minutes first), it started dropping down to 1500rpm, then would shoot up to 3500rpm. But it does work. Obviously some sensor is whacked at the moment. Has a CEL on, so I'll have to pull that and see what it says.

Glad you made it back. My friend had said that it was revving up and down on her shortly before I took it back, but I never saw that on the whole drive back from Denver, so kind of dismissed it as her description of the cold idling problem. Guess she was actually right.