Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hi Subbers

Been away for a long while simply because my 92 Leg runs as a champ, 120K miles on. Sweetie.

BUT, A/C died the other day and it was easy to see that the compressor's electromagnetic clutch was not clamping. Quick check with an ohmeter and nada, it looks like the electromagnetic coil is dead.

A/C was working fine till then, so don't wish to empty the system, replace the whole compressor, etc.

The electro coil sits at the front and looks easily accessible/dis-mountable but does it exist as stand alone spare part that can be replaced?

Thanks in advance

TG

The clutch assembly CAN be replaced, but I don't generally recommend it. It has been my observation that if the clutch has died, the compressor itself is usually not terribly far behind it. More often than not, you replace the clutch, only to have to replace the whole compressor a few months down the road.

Having said all of that, if you want to do the clutch, the part number you need is 15-3006R. That's a Ranshu part number. Clutch alone is likely to cost about $230. Whole compressor is part number 14-3006C and costs about $250. Your choice.

Having said all of that, if you want to do the clutch, the part number you need is 15-3006R. That's a Ranshu part number. Clutch alone is likely to cost about $230. Whole compressor is part number 14-3006C and costs about $250. Your choice.

would a used compressor be a good source for the clutch??

I wouldn't go to a used compressor for a clutch. It is in unknown condition and you will have done a BUNCH of work, only to have to do it again, if that clutch fails.

Also, I neglected to mention earlier...when doing this work, be VERY careful. There are some springy bits in the clutch that WILL go sproing if you let them. If that happens, forget it. You'll never find all the little fiddly bits.

I would go ahead and replace just the clutch, or if you can get it the clutch coil. I do not agree on a subaru that if the coil burns out the compressor isnt far behind. Compressors last much longer, so just replace the coil/clutch.

nipper

I would go ahead and replace just the clutch, or if you can get it the clutch coil. I do not agree on a subaru that if the coil burns out the compressor isnt far behind. Compressors last much longer, so just replace the coil/clutch.

nipper

+1. I've done it once and while it was so long ago I barely remember, I did it without any issues one evening for a friend.

if you do end up replacing the a/c compressor it's not that big of a deal. these engines are easy to work on. remove compressor, install new compressor and recharge it yourself. the tiny amount of time the system is open isn't a big deal. i've charged tons of a/c this way. it seemed like a big deal to me before i knew anything about A/C, but it's not nearly as technical, unforgiving, and convoluted as people think. that's my opinion, with a 100% a/c success rate so far. if I ever loose one a/c system i've already made up for it in time/costs/ease/etc.

Edited by grossgary

+1. I've done it once and while it was so long ago I barely remember, I did it without any issues one evening for a friend.

that being said - if you do end up replacing the a/c compressor it's not that big of a deal, it's blown way out of proportion. these engines are easy to work on. remove compressor, install new compressor and recharge it yourself. the tiny amount of time the system is open isn't a big deal. i've charged tons of a/c this way with no problems. it seemed like a big deal to me before i knew anything about A/C, but it's not nearly as technical and convoluted as people think it is or make it out to be. my opinion of course, but i've got a 100% a/c track record so far too. if I ever loose one a/c system i've already made up for it in time/costs/ease/etc, but i doubt that will happen.

Except he is in Itally, and i dont know what the nanny state/EU/Health and saftey will allow him to do.

I wouldnt be afraid of using a used clutch either.

nipper

I do not agree on a subaru that if the coil burns out the compressor isnt far behind. Compressors last much longer, so just replace the coil/clutch.

nipper

When the clutch goes, it is generally due to wear. The compressor gets EXACTLY the same level of wear as the clutch. As i said...this has been my observation, and I have had plenty of time to observe. Do what you want. Its your car and nobody else's. I just wouldn't install a used A/C clutch for the same reason I wouldn't install used crank bearings. And since there's about $20 difference between a new clutch and a new compressor...hmmmm....

No one is right or wrong SW, just different options. Options are good since some are better fits than others for different people and situations.

Nipper and I mean a used clutch for a few dollars, for some folks that's a better option than hundreds for new. Crank bearings aren't quite the same since that's labor intensive and would render all sorts of other work useless.

Now that you mention it we see the value of discussion! We didn't mention a used compressor with clutch, that's actually what I would do before messing with the clutch. But I could get one for next to nothing or probably have one and refrigerant doesn't bother me at all.

Gary, I'm not bent. All I'm saying is putting a used clutch on that compressor is not worth the work. Changing an A/C clutch is kind of a PITA. In many cases, it requires removing the compressor from the car. With Subaru's, you don't always have to do that, but it IS easier to work on the compressor if it is sitting on a bench. It is simply easier and less work to change the whole compressor. Frequently, you can get the whole compressor in a wrecking yard for $50 - 60. Again, its an unknown, but there are times when that's your only option.

The whole point is this: Changing a compressor is less work, marginally more expensive and yields a superior end result than changing a clutch.

If I were him I would pick up a used hopefully low mileage compressor and be done with it. It is his coil, the clutch is physicly okay, right? I've replaced clutch bearings but not a coil but he could do the coil by itself possibly.

When the clutch goes, it is generally due to wear. The compressor gets EXACTLY the same level of wear as the clutch. As i said...this has been my observation, and I have had plenty of time to observe. Do what you want. Its your car and nobody else's. I just wouldn't install a used A/C clutch for the same reason I wouldn't install used crank bearings. And since there's about $20 difference between a new clutch and a new compressor...hmmmm....

"will check my options then, here in italy, parts are not as cheap and harder to get."

Once again he is in ITALY. He said parts are hard to get and very expensive, he is not in the states where things are cheap. If he was here i would not have mentioned the EU or health and saftey.

And in my expierience if money is tight and edpending upon the make of car, repolacing a clutch that is bad is just a bad clutch. One can see when removing the clutch if the bearing is bad or the seal is bad.

if you do end up replacing the a/c compressor it's not that big of a deal. these engines are easy to work on. remove compressor, install new compressor and recharge it yourself. the tiny amount of time the system is open isn't a big deal. i've charged tons of a/c this way. it seemed like a big deal to me before i knew anything about A/C, but it's not nearly as technical, unforgiving, and convoluted as people think. that's my opinion, with a 100% a/c success rate so far. if I ever loose one a/c system i've already made up for it in time/costs/ease/etc.

So I have a/c Clutch issues and figured replacing the whole compressor unit would be good, over 10yrs and 210k and while I'm at it should replace the drier and expansion device.

So some questions:

Currently the system is still charged and I'm thinking I should get the system emptied?

Replace the A/C parts and the return to get the system vacuumed and recharged? Is the vacuuming really needed or will the system compensate? And as for recharging there are plenty of over the counter options.

I would like the new system to work well for some years and not have to recharge or replace parts over and over again.

PS As for getting parts in Italy... I would happily purchase A/C parts and ship over parts to Italy, but not any chemicals which might not pass through customs. I got a rebuilt Calsonic A/C Compressor, dryer, oil, and expansion device for around $300

Yep, sounds like you got the process down just right:

Reclaim the system first, they remove all the refrigerant.

Then you repair it - remove and install parts.

Then return to have it vacuumed and charged (or charge it yourself).

Some shops have nice machines that they hook up and they automatically do everything computer controlled. Pulls a vacuum, waits to evaluate losses, then recharges, all while the mechanic is working on something else.

Given the in depth approach you're taking I'm assuming you'll want to do all of that.

How much you go about doing it yourself is up to you and how you view statistics, mechanics, rules, etc. Everyone will differ from here.

No one else but me works on my cars, so I unbolt parts, replace part, then charge with refrigerant. Simple and easy. I have a cheapy vacuum puller which doesn't do what the big machines do but it was cheap and I use it sometimes.

I've charged quite a few A/C systems without pulling a vacuum and even the first ones I did lasted years and never had a problem. There's a significant safety margin involved. The system, dessicant, etc is well equipped.

My Cousin (who works on HVAC for the US Navy) mentioned that you can charge one side while simultaneously holding the other side of the system open so it's essentially "pushing out" whatever is in there. If I've ever done that it's only been one or two times. I've had no repeat a/c problems so I don't worry about it too much.

If the system isn't open long then you're hardly exposing it to anything anyway.

Edited by grossgary