Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Calling SVX owners - need some info

The Sister-in-law recently picked up a really sweet '95 SVX :slobber: (i hate her! lol - jk)

anyway, the check engine light is on and they were told that the O2 sensor was bad...

Now, I have ridden in this car, both city streets and freeway, and it has absolutely NO drivability issues (I just went thru O2 issues with my Legacy - BIG drivability issues)

So, here are the questions...

1. I am going to guess that this car is an OBDII, needing a code reader, right? Or is there a way to get codes without one?

2. How many O2 sensors does the SVX have? just the upstream one, or does it have a downstream also?

3. Just how hard is it to change the O2 sensor(s) on an SVX? thier local mechanic recommended taking it to the dealer for this & dealer quoted them over $600.00!?!?! :eek:

Thanks in advance!

o2 sensors are not that bad to change, slop them up with pb blaster ahead of time, it took me about an hour to unhook them from the wiring, that was the hard part, the unbolting was cake, 600 sound abit high for that job but thats where dealers make money, my 2cent............G

o2 sensors are not that bad to change, slop them up with pb blaster ahead of time, it took me about an hour to unhook them from the wiring, that was the hard part, the unbolting was cake, 600 sound abit high for that job but thats where dealers make money, my 2cent............G

Thanks for the info G - i thought it was a tad bit high myself - no big deal changing the one on my Legacy, but it is easy to get to. Havent seen the underside of the SVX yet

Kind of related - the SVX hit a deer last week, so is down with some minor body damage & possibly a broken or bent strut (she said tire rubs) so it may be a while before the O2 gets looked at.

Thanks for the info G - i thought it was a tad bit high myself - no big deal changing the one on my Legacy, but it is easy to get to. Havent seen the underside of the SVX yet

Kind of related - the SVX hit a deer last week, so is down with some minor body damage & possibly a broken or bent strut (she said tire rubs) so it may be a while before the O2 gets looked at.

have fun sourcing new struts. they were never made by aftermarket companies, too little demand when only 14k cars were made that would need them.

And so you have to go to Subaru for them and they are like 400 each.

oh i do hate the deer around here. tons and tons of them

have fun sourcing new struts. they were never made by aftermarket companies, too little demand when only 14k cars were made that would need them.

And so you have to go to Subaru for them and they are like 400 each.

oh i do hate the deer around here. tons and tons of them

Not sure who your parts source is, but 1stSubaru has them for $115ea.

SVXstruts.jpg