Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Swap confusion! help please....

Just finishing up a swap and have a few questions. Swaping from a 2001 impreza ej22 phase 2 auto trans into a 1999 impreza OBS ej22 phase 2 5sp. Got the old one out, new one in and all hooked up, it turns over but wont start. getting gas but no spark. I've double checked all connections/fuses. I'm wondering if i need to swap the whole intake system back to the one that came on the OBS. Then i could use the sensors/relays (what are these?) that hang off the pass side strut tower. Has a vac line coming off it also. The 2001 doesnt have these.. Is this right? Should i exchange the whole intake?

Thanks!

Elliott

94 leg

96 leg gt

99 leg gt

99 impreza obs

01 impreza

Edited by 99gtott

thanks for the intake swap advice. and what am i looking for by counting the teeth that activate the sensior on the cam gear? might i need to swap this also? any ideas about what the relay/sensors are that mount on the pass side strut tower?

thanks again guys!

Devices on the strut tower are a MAP type sensor and switching solenoid to switch it in and out of the loop.

I'm running a 96 Legacy 2.2 and harness/ECU in my old GL. The donor car was wrecked and those sensors on the strut tower where destroyed. The car runs fine without them.

Betting you're problem is the Cam gear on the drivers side.

"swapping from a.....into...." i'm finding it hard to figure out which way you went and if you're talking about engines or trans or both.

i'd read check engine codes and check for obvious vacuum leaks like the brake booster. as a guess reading confusing information I'm with Gloyale the cams likely need swapped.

thanks for the info. not sure why that was confusing to some. i thought the "from" and "into", would give it away? regardless, does anyone know how to tell if the cam gear is the issue? do they need to have the same # of teeth or? and maybe the proper procedure for swaping out the cam gear and what this intails? again, thank you for the help!

so swaped out the intake. had to wait a day for new gaskets. everything is plugged back in the way it origionally was. it turns over and farts a little but thats it. i counted the notches on the back of the drivers side timing pully and ya, there diff! the 2001 motor has one notch and the 1999 has six. so i just swap out the drivers side pully and it should be good to go? sound about right? i'll post again.. thanks again!

really? thats why it's still not starting? oh man i wish i would have known this yesterday.. i just swaped the drivers side timing pully, got everything marked up and back together. it still coughs and wants to start but doesn't. so if i change out the crank pully it should fire? they are a little different? you've had to do this one a swap before? good info my friend! thanks again everyone!

still won't start.. the crank gear pullys look identical. does anyone know what the difference is between the two? all marks are lined straight up, everything should be a go. any ideas? thanks!

There are 2 different crank gears. One has about 20 small teeth on the back where it triggers the crank sensor the other has about 5 large teeth. The difference is obvious.