Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1994 impreza ej18 swap to ej25 dohc engine?

i have a 5 speed 1994 front wheel drive subaru impreza, i was wondering if a subaru ej25 dohc would fit in my car, it has the ej18 right now... so generally the ej25 wouldd be plenty more desireable, plus.. my ej18 has 345xxx miles on is so i think its due for a new engine.. heres the link to the engine.. http://www.attarco.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&manufacturers_id=3&products_id=17 if someone could help that would be sweet... because it would be a waste to buy if i cant use it plz help

• Like 1

negatives of this engine and work arounds to bring them up to par:

the EJ25 is an interference engine. if the timing belt breaks, which isn't all that uncommon, you'll have internal engine damage. the solution to that is an all new timing belt kit - belt, pulleys, and tensioner, a bunch of us on here use the kits from theimportexperts off ebay.

the timing belt kits are much more expensive. ebay has great deals on timing kits complete with new belts and pulleys. but the DOHC EJ25 and newer style tensioners are more expensive. 96 EJ25 has a different style tensioner than 97+.

do an internet or USMB search for headgasket or EJ25 headgasket. you'll be buying a 10+ year old engine known for head gasket issues, not the best combo for reliability. Subaru has an improved head gasket for the EJ25 which you could install prior to installing the engine.

Ej25's also have piston slap and bearing failures. i have a few sitting in my garage right now (one with only 80k and blown head gaskets, another with 56k and seized bearings). again you can search all of that here too.

this is why EJ25's are so expensive and hard to find, there's a high demand due to engine failures.

another option might be EJ22's which are more reliable (don't have the head gasket and bearing failures of the EJ25), cheaper to maintain, and pre 97's are non-interference. a few less horsepower but gobs better than the EJ18 with the same reliability.

Edited by grossgary

oh and is a 98 a bad year of ej25? because i think thats the year of engine i was gonna go with, im just mostly looking for somthing with more power than the 1.8L, and i havent been able to find a turbo kit for the ej18 plus i didnt really want to put a turbocharger on on my tired ej18 anyway im sure it would fail horribly lol, so if you recommend the ej22 i might just go with that because im pretty sure i could find a turbo kit for that, plus its a general increase in power compared to the ej18 so i might do that, is the ej22 easyer to put in than the ej25?

Any DOHC EJ25 (96-98 and some 99's depending on model) will work. In 98 the bellhousing bolt pattern changes but it still installs fine.

All DOHC EJ25's have the issues I mentioned and are the worst EJ motors. Still good motors, just depends how you view cars, reliability, etc.

I'd consider doing the timing belt components a necessity on that motor and the headgaskets wise for reliability.

EJ22 avoids dealing with a/c, power steering components I believe, and the 98 bellhousing issue so it'd be a bit easier. Not substantially easier considering the effort involved in swap, the 98 would go in just fine if you want it.

Effort involved in a swap? Seriously, are you out of your mind?
i wasn't talking about the EJ22 swap, you had that covered, it is the easy way to go. i was comparing the ej22 and ej25. considering the level of effort that an engine swap requires, the extra couple steps to install an EJ25 are minor. meaning - if you can do an engine swap then installing an EJ25 is a drop in the bucket. Edited by grossgary

Actually, any swap that involves wiring is not a "drop in the bucket"!
Oh right you should have specifically said something about wiring. I was thinking of an EJ18 swap I did into an EJ25 that didn't require any wiring using an EJ22 manifold though so it doesn't work the other way around. The EJ25 is going to require some extensive wiring work, not plug and play and you ca'nt swap manifolds like you can between EJ18 and EJ22.

If you really want to do it check NASIOC, they've done it over there and probably have info on making it happen.

Edited by grossgary

Oh right you should have specifically said something about wiring. I was thinking of an EJ18 swap I did into an EJ25 that didn't require any wiring using an EJ22 manifold though so it doesn't work the other way around. The EJ25 is going to require some extensive wiring work, not plug and play and you ca'nt swap manifolds like you can between EJ18 and EJ22.

If you really want to do it check NASIOC, they've done it over there and probably have info on making it happen.

Edited by Qman

Again, are you serious? Why send him somewhere else to find what I already told him? Is this another "drop in the bucket" step?
i don't know what he's thinking, but i'm assuming he's still considering the EJ25. the specifics for that swap haven't been discussed here, so seems logical to try and help him find it.

Relatively easy swap, I've done it two times. You need:

Complete EJ25DOHC engine with intake manifold.

Swap the engine loom from your SOHC engine onto the DOHC manifold. You may need to reroute some vacuum hoses to make everything work but nothing major.

Be careful with EGR etc (we don't have EGR in Europe so I don't know how that comes into play during a swap).

The 2.5 will run on any MPI electronics (EJ18/20/22). Just always use the wiring and sensor that come with the host car rather than the donor engine.

What he ^ said.

Simple. Any phase 1 ('99 and earlier) EJ series is completely interchangeable. Use your existing throttle body, IAC, knock sensor (connectors can be different) Cam and crank sensors if you can, and either coil pack should work but im not positive you can use the 2.5 coil pack without a cel. Basically everything electronic, swap over. Retain your ignitor on the firewall. and done. End of story, dont go to nasioc.

Oh and to turbo, you will need a turbo crossmember, or custom exhaust.

Edited by tturnpaw

Oh and to turbo, you will need a turbo crossmember, or custom exhaust.

Not necessarily, you can always notch your N/A x-member to fit. A hammer works great. You will need to weld in a plate because the metal doesn't stretch to well haha. Though my friend didn't weld in a plate and he is still running it that way with no issues, but I think he's an idiot.

I know your dead set on a ej25, but the ej22t(Legacy SS motor) pretty much makes the same HP and TQ stock. Also one of the best Subaru blocks ever to build on to make massive amounts of power. You can always upgrade to DOHC like I did on my SS block.

• 4 years later...

HI Guys can i put 95 96 97 98 part in my 1994 wrx and also can i put a Ej20 motor

"part" - what part?

if you're current vehicle isn't a turbo then the EJ20 will easily bolt in but wiring/controller will be the issue.

if that's the case the big hurdle will be your skills or money.  it'll take a lot of one or the other.