Ultimate Subaru Message Board

We just had our mechanic replace my wife's 95 Legacy headlights to pass inspection, and my 95 Legacy is due next month. They're pretty yellowed, and I'd like to replace them myself to save on labor. I'm going to skip the polishing route. I've noticed the various online sources seem to sell two brands: "Replacement" for about $120 to $140, and "Genera" for about $165. Does anyone know if there's any difference between the two brands?

i just polished mine, 95 lego and 97 gt, last weekend. i bought the 3M kit at advance auto with the drill attachment. came with everthing you need for ~$23. it took less than 2 hours for both cars. i opened the hood and left the lights in the car. and i got to drink beer while i did it. the only thing you need that's not in the kit is masking tape. i used blue painters tape because i had it on hand.

you need to reconsider your decision not to polish.

Looks about like mine did. I did the wet sand & polish method.

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=102339&highlight=Headlight+cleaning

Then for an extra kick I put a set of Silverstar bulbs in. :grin:

If you put a coat of wax or plastic cleaner/polish them whenever you wax the car it will help keep them clear.

^

What he said! :)

Honestly, unless the headlight lens is broken there is NO need to replace it when a simple polish job will make them look like new again.

Don't have experience with polishing but do have experience with after-market unit. I bought one made in Taiwan for my 96 OBW 6-7 years ago. Now the lens (housing) of the after-market one has started to peel a little. The other headlight is still from factory, a little yellowish but no peeling. I'm going to polish both with non-gel type toothpaste, using a drill attached with a small modified grinding wheel - one with grinding material removed and wrap on several layers of cloth, tightened with rubber bands to keep cloth material on the wheel.