Ultimate Subaru Message Board

digital dash conversion loyale

my last trip to the boneyard netted me a digital dash and trip computer out of an 85 gl dr. and if someone hurrys up and buys my saturn ill get the tranny too. upon tearing my dash apart I became abbruptly aware that the wiring is NOT plug and play. i couldnt find another thread, and i did look. i could use some help, or if its too hard or impossible, wanna buy it?

The digital dashes look cool...

But they're hard to read in the sun, their gauges are less accurate, the digital elements in them can burn out so part of the gauge doesn't work, and it's really complicated to swap dashes.. you have to change the sensors that feed the gauges, and the wiring is sort of complicated to work out.

Some people have swapped their digital dashes out for analog dashes but nobody swaps analog for digital.

If you want to get a feel for what you're looking into, run a search for DASH SWAP in Older Generation and Retrofitting.

I have owned 2 digidash GL-10's One was an 86 with the orange dash and one was an 87 with the green dash.

Opinion #1. DONT SWITCH IT

Opinion #2. If you choose not to listen to opinion one, at least use the green dash. Its FAR easier to read and generally more reliable.

Fact: You will lose your oil pressure guage and voltmeter. The other guages will be less accurate.