Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Rancho Shock

Naked Buell

• 2 weeks later...
Rancho pt # RS5241

Will they work for an EA82 as well?

I use the Honda springs in the rear for lift. I started out with new Loyale-spec shocks, but the springs keep them extended too far (like preload?). Both shocks were blown after a few hours of wheeling.

I need a shock that is taller than stock with L-series-compatible top, bottom, and spring mounts. Any advice?

RockAuto's details for Rancho RS5241

• 3 weeks later...
Will they work for an EA82 as well?

I use the Honda springs in the rear for lift. I started out with new Loyale-spec shocks, but the springs keep them extended too far (like preload?). Both shocks were blown after a few hours of wheeling.

No, different setup.

The racnchos are not setup with the needed spring perch for a coilover.

You can however get rear struts for a FWD model, they are about two inches longer at the bottom. Use your original springs, with the new spring perch upside down, and the old one stacked onto, for extra lift.

That way you get the height, but keep the softer springs.

Or you could cut a few coils off the honda springs and do the same.

Yeah, I'm curious about this spring issue. I don't want stiffer springs for my wagon if I go offroad. Maybe a pair of two inch collars will do?

Btw, I went into the monroe catalog today and found a few alternate struts:

This table is in comparison to an '86 GL.

**In regards to compression measurements, this DOES NOT mean that it compresses more. It means that the compressed strut is this much longer than the stock compressed strut.**

PART__Lngth_Comp___Ext___Trav____Year / Model / Pos / mounting kit#

71202 +2.75 +2.625 +4.750 +2.125 :: 85-90 / vw cabrio / rear / 901966

71205 +1.25 +2.500 +3.625 +1.125 :: 90 / dodge omni / rear / 901952

71230 +2.50 +2.500 +4.625 +2.125 :: 87-90 / toy tercel / rear / 901984

All of these struts have the same design, even the same strut rod diameter and thread (M10x1.5)

Edited by Mantis_Toboggan

Yeah, I'm curious about this spring issue. I don't want stiffer springs for my wagon if I go offroad. Maybe a pair of two inch collars will do?

Btw, I went into the monroe catalog today and found a few alternate struts:

This table is in comparison to an '86 GL.

**In regards to compression measurements, this DOES NOT mean that it compresses more. It means that the compressed strut is this much longer than the stock compressed strut.**

PART__Lngth_Comp___Ext___Trav____Year / Model / Pos / mounting kit#

71202 +2.75 +2.625 +4.750 +2.125 :: 85-90 / vw cabrio / rear / 901966

71205 +1.25 +2.500 +3.625 +1.125 :: 90 / dodge omni / rear / 901952

71230 +2.50 +2.500 +4.625 +2.125 :: 87-90 / toy tercel / rear / 901984

All of these struts have the same design, even the same strut rod diameter and thread (M10x1.5)

I could not find any definitive photos (what I saw could have been stock pics), but

google and some vendor sites all show those options with a big spring mount (McPherson-style) and two-bolt clamps to the bottom (newer-generation front-end-style)

So, if the part pics were accurate, none of those three options will work.

Thanks for the idea vato!

So according to KYB, this is what the stock units look like.

341065.jpg

Which is strange because this is what mine look like, I think they're adjustable.

35412_131706566852102_100000382788361_215268_1959580_n.jpg

This is what the tercel strut looks like in KYB:

KG9129.jpg

vw cabrio struts:

341007.jpg

Edited by Mantis_Toboggan

Mantis_Toboggan:

85 and 86 had adjustable suspensions. 87 on did not have those. My 86 had those same struts, but I never did find replacements when they wore out. Installed KYB GR-2s instead and enjoyed the extra handling on the highway and suffered the lost height while wheeling on the weekends. One thing for sure, with the suspension cranked all the way up, I went through front CVs every 3 months. :eek:

Mantis_Toboggan:

85 and 86 had adjustable suspensions. 87 on did not have those. My 86 had those same struts, but I never did find replacements when they wore out. Installed KYB GR-2s instead and enjoyed the extra handling on the highway and suffered the lost height while wheeling on the weekends. One thing for sure, with the suspension cranked all the way up, I went through front CVs every 3 months. :eek:

Wow man, lol. When you had the ride cranked up all the way, did you have problems with running into full strut extension? There's a guy in another thread that put honda springs on his rig and it was blowing out his rear struts.

No, I never had any problems with the struts blowing out, just the CVs.

I wonder if the honda springs are sprung stiffer than I thought, since the honda's are from the front, that might have something to do with the strut blowouts. The strut is probably sitting against the max travel all the time may be damaging the seals.