Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Blue Smoke from Tailpipe and Oil Fill Cap?

Ok, Here is the story.

I just started driving (ie not supper hot) on the freeway (55mph) and I lost power. The car almost came to a stop then started to spew smoke like crazy from the tailpipe and from under the hood. :eek: Under inspection there was oil from under the hood, but I could not tell if it was leaking from anywhere(my theory is that the oil came from the fill cap). I got it towed home. I can still start it but there is smoke coming from the fill cap and tail pipe. I checked compression and the right side had 60-60 and the left side had 170-170.

The car has 138000miles

I had just replaced the timing belt and oil pump gasket, and CV joint driver side.

Does anyone think that it is a head gasket? Or bad rings on both pistons(I am puzzled) Oh and all spark plugs were dark black

Edited by freeradical

If the car seriously has 1.3 million miles - get a new car. It's done.

60 psi and oil smoke would indicate some kind of internal damage - pull the valve cover and see if the valves are actuating as they should - maybe the timing belt on the right side came off - it could be pulling oil up past the rings if the valves aren't working.

GD

Are those 2 low compression cylinders even firing? Start the car and pull off those plug wires one at a time to see if it runs any differently.

I pulled off the plugs and both seemed to have a similar effect the car did not want to start right away and was smoking. For kicks and giggles I took both off and it still ran(needed more throttle and the check engine light turned on) but there wasn't any smoke with those two disconnected

I pulled off the plugs and both seemed to have a similar effect the car did not want to start right away and was smoking. For kicks and giggles I took both off and it still ran(needed more throttle and the check engine light turned on) but there wasn't any smoke with those two disconnected

That sounds to me like the rings are gone on those pistons.

We gave you "input" - that the same thing in your native dialect right? :-\

Unfortunatly we can't diagnose your problem over the internet. I'm out of magic tokens for my crystal ball till after the holiday at least. :rolleyes:

GD

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

funniest thing i've read/heard all week. thank you GD for that one.

and true!