Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I was pulling out of work and I had my HVAC blower on 3 (95 Legacy) and the radio was on, I was next in line to pull out and sitting in neutral I noticed my radio went off then came back on and I heard the speed of the blower motor dip then come back up.

No warning lights came on and never happened again on the drive home

Hmmm, was your blinker on? It almost sounds like your alternator might be slowly going bad, though maybe not. Just when my alternator went bad I would turn on the blinker and everything would turn off and on with the blinker. Rather amusing till I couldn't make it to the autoparts store in time.

Hmmm, was your blinker on? It almost sounds like your alternator might be slowly going bad, though maybe not. Just when my alternator went bad I would turn on the blinker and everything would turn off and on with the blinker. Rather amusing till I couldn't make it to the autoparts store in time.

I can't remember if it was on but I do know I used the blinker many of times while stopped and the issue did not happen again.

First thing that comes to mind is loose/corroded battery terminals. Make sure they're clean and tight.

See if you can replicate it by loading the electrical system. Turn on everything you can that draws power with the engine running and hit the brakes a few times. Turn lights on and off let the engine warm up and the radiator fans turn on (run the AC if it works) and see if it happens again. You're looking for it to coincide with a large load being applied to the system when it is already under load, such as when fans or lights turn on.

So I just came back went to the park and turned on my hi beams and my HID lows, hazard light and sat inside in reverse with the blower on high and radio and also trying to roll 3 windows up at once.

Anyways I had the glove box open which I changed to a bright LED and I looked at the dome light and with the hazard's on the light had a wavy looking appearance and while the radio did not cut off it's hard to say..

And i doubt voltage testing the alt is going to tell me anything?

I don't think I would worry to much about that one time fluctuation. You alt could be showing age, but probably nothing to worry about at the moment. If anything, it could be the solenoid (Which is built in)

My Legacy has the Original Alternator with 207,000 on the clock. I agree with the battery terminals, check'em and clean them if needed.

-Tom :)

I don't think I would worry to much about that one time fluctuation. You alt could be showing age, but probably nothing to worry about at the moment.

My Legacy has the Original Alternator with 207,000 on the clock. I agree with the battery terminals, check'em and clean them if needed.

-Tom :)

I checked the batt terminals on Monday as I washed the car I don't think the alternator is the original.

Holy crap! Thats cool! Is it AT or MT?

Anyhow, I wouldn't be concerned about this little fluctuation. :)

MT :) no more AT Subaru's for me The only work I've done so far was replace the radiator and water pump along with doing the timing belt and knock sensor.

Going to order the GR'2s in the morning I think my last tire rotation really caused the rear struts to leak whatever oil they had left in them.

my only concern is removing the springs because they are so old I know they had a voluntary recall over the springs and rust in salt states which this car has seen enough of.

DSC_0555.jpg

DSC_0641.jpg

Edited by 1-3-2-4

Both of mine are AT :-p

Yeah the GR2s are my choice, KYB is pretty good with their products. The Springs should be ok, just compress them evenly and just far enough to take the pressure off the tophat (You don't need to compress them a lot) you can always hit them with some rust-olium before you reinstall them.

-Tom

Both of mine are AT :-p

Yeah the GR2s are my choice, KYB is pretty good with their products. The Springs should be ok, just compress them evenly and just far enough to take the pressure off the tophat (You don't need to compress them a lot) you can always hit them with some rust-olium before you reinstall them.

-Tom

I was not going to reinstall them but put lowering springs on

I had a impreza with a AT which was also a 95 1.8L and near the 3 year mark the bands started to slip and I could no longer back up any more.. Not worth the rebuild cost for a FWD tranny so I got rid of the car..

I would like to get into a AWD '93 Impreza 1.8 EJ18 sedan sometime. I just like them for some reason, kinda a eco box, but I like it. Its cooler and quicker then a Corolla :)

Yes, nice headlights :) I like the color of yours, I'd like to paint my bumpers and trim line that color on mine. (Mine has the OB paint scheme)

I would like to get into a AWD '93 Impreza 1.8 EJ18 sedan sometime. I just like them for some reason, kinda a eco box, but I like it. Its cooler and quicker then a Corolla :)

Yes, nice headlights :) I like the color of yours, I'd like to paint my bumpers and trim line that color on mine. (Mine has the OB paint scheme)

I think I've only seen 2 93 imprezas before.

The headlights and taillight as well as the foglights are all from the JDM legacy i have HID's installed after I corrected the RHD projectors to LHD. The high beams are pretty much useless now.

On a side note: It would be cool to take EJ18 heads/cams and stick them on the EJ22 for a high compression EJ22!

Whenever I have the time and extra cash laying around I want to try building up a motor for a turbo I would be using a 2nd motor so I wont be without an engine if something goes crazy :P