Ultimate Subaru Message Board

just got a 3D STD

yeah I mean it's not like I was getting something for nothing, I was paying extra for the correct size to be put on my car

in my opinion they should have paid for the entire difference, but whatever

new tires drive a lot better, I don't feel uneasy every time I drive over a bump

on a side note, anyone wanting to get super cheap 155/70R13s go to the Kirkland Discount Tire off of exit 20 on 405E... they put the ones I drove on for a day in the lobby as display models.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Technically it isn't. Other sizes will throw off the speedo a bit. But all things considred it's not a real big deal.

I've had Les Schwabb install 185's on a 2WD (175) car before. They had no problem with it and did exactly as I requested.

GD

yes.... technically 155s are the correct size for the Standard, but considering

- my car had 185s installed on wider aftermarket wheels

- my spare is a 185 from a GL

- I asked for 185s

- I told them my car is a GL, which lists 185s

- the paperwork I signed said 185-70-13 and Subaru XT GL Coupe

it was a mistake on their part to install 155s...

as for speed difference, it's only about 5mph off, but the speedo probably isn't very accurate anyway.

lessons learned: make sure you REALLY REALLY confirm that they understand what you want before they take your car into the shop, and check their work before you leave.

Edited by saturn

WOW

so I went to try to get a temporary registration, since the tabs are expired now. the HORRIBLY rude people at the license agency in Kirkland (near 85th) wasted my time, tried to sell me a 3-day pass for $30... without telling me it was only 3 days.

so I left... called up the dept. of ecology to see what my options are...

guy who answered the phone was extremely helpful and awesome. gave me a waiver over the phone and told me to make sure I fix the car... even gave me subaru-specific advice on it, saying there might be gasoline getting into the oil in the crank case, etc. gave me some suggestions on mechanics to talk to in the area.

anyway, just wanted to let you guys out there know... a simple call to the dept. of ecology might get you a free waiver?

I'm off to the emissions station to get a copy of the waiver and go register my car :)

Edited by saturn

• 2 weeks later...

update: wheels are now gold. actually "bright bronze" which just comes out to be what "gold" is SUPPOSED to look like.

I was going to take the most amazing photo ever, but I was distracted by this brilliant parking job... more photos coming when the sun is back in the sky tomorrow.

4785909034_73da9f3bcc_z.jpg

The ASV's should make the noise that the guy Ed reccomended said they should make - if you pull the hose off that goes to the plastic silencer then you should hear a pronounced gurgleing exhaust type sound from the valves.

The ASV's provide fresh oxygen to the exhaust stream for proper catalytic converter operation. Newer style cat's don't require this but back in the '80's it was common to see valves like this or smog pumps (on larger engines) that did the same thing.

Oh - and I totally would have jammed my beater into the space next to his driver's door - so that he would have to climb in through the passenger side. I guess I'm just a dickhole like that but it's one of the benfits of owning a $500 car. :lol:

GD

You are my hero :)

Agreed but also cringe a little.

Look at that car. Thats an M5. Amazing car and not cheap. People show other peoples property absolutely no respect and door ding it, key it, and other crap. Most of the people I know that own one of these cars are pretty nice guys and gearheads but I would tend to think that there are quite a few rude and stuffy people driving them that only drive it because it says BMW on it and they don't know hardly anything about it.

Most people can't park their car to save their life and bring people to park like this so that they can get out of the car and when somebody does what GD suggested doing they might have a chance to get in/out of the car somehow.

nah I would never do that (you never mess with another man's car!) BUT

the guy got in it right as I was going into the store -- he looked about 16-18 years old ... was dressed like an idiot (sideways baseball cap, giant pants, etc) and was talking on his cell phone the entire time.

the parking lot was mostly empty. if he was truly worried about door dings he could've just parked in no-mans-land at the end of the lot (aka lambo parking zone) and he'd be fine... but he was just being a lazy jerk.

• 1 year later...

right now it starts up and runs, but when I try to accelerate, it kind of half-moves and makes a horrible grinding noise. not sure if it's the transmission or axle or what. I can't see anything visibly obvious, but it was dark and rainy when I went to get it.

any ideas?