Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I want to replace the 2.2turbo with a non turbo 2.2. any particular problems or thing I should know about?

Yes I did run search but didn't see much.

car is a 94 lego2.2T. engine to go in is a 91.

Edited by ellets

Your Leggo is a 94 at best, the 95 was not offered with a turbo.

I'd recommend against it, the non turbo has higher compression and will not run well with the turbo, and it doesn't have oil squirters to keep the pistons cool.

Unless of course you want to make it a non turbo, in which case I'd suggest selling it to a Subaru enthusiast and getting a non turbo car instead. It would be a shame to loose another turbo.

The oil squirters were of dubious benefit at best. Mostly they just fall out of the crank and end up in the oil pan. The 22B impreza, which used the same block and put down 300+ HP didn't have them. There were a hedge-bet for the US market and don't really do much. The standard practice when building/rebuilding EJ22T's is to block the oil-squirt ports with set-screws.

I would agree though - you don't want to pull out the turbo engine. They are excelent engines and while you could run a non-turbo at about 5 psi or less it wouldn't be as durrable as the turbo block. You will ruin the value of the car as well. Turbo's are worth several times what a non-turbo is worth and non-turbo cars are everywhere.

GD

Car is a 94 my typo.

Engine was pumping coolant out the tailpipe.

Pulling the heads didn't show any problem. Had the heads milled but shop couldn't pressure check them. On attempting to reassemble couldn't hook up oil drain on turbo. Guy who was trying to help injured his knee and is out of business for months. I managed to injure back and am not much better. We couldn't get the turbo off to hook up hose.have considered pulling engine to access the d----mn thing but can't even do that now. Getting old and on ss makes everything even worse.