Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Transmission is dying, no reverse, SOS!

My transmission is dying. I did a tranny oil drain 2 days ago, replaced the filter and gasket. It drove fine for about 100 miles until a few hours ago. I was on the interstate going 78mph for about 2 hours when suddenly the RPM went sky high. I pulled over and after some testing (and a consult with a local transmission shop) found that I have no reverse, 2nd or 4th gears.

I am looking at trannies at junkyards in the area and at online sales.

A few questions:

1) Will any other year of Outback work for my transmission, or only the 97?

2) I have a quote from swtransmissions.com for a tranny with 43,656 miles for $595, including free shipping and a 180 day warranty. Not sure if this is with the core or not, but it seems to be the absolute best price for the mileage I can find. Should I grab it?

3) Do I have to replace the torque converter or any other part at the same time?

4) I have been told by the dealer that the "PCV Plate" is leaking oil and is contributing to rough running and idle. I cannot find this part anywhere. Can it be replaced while the tranny is out?

5) Your advice and consolation would be greatly helpful. I was headed from Chicago to St Louis for the weekend to see friends, but had to turn around 120 miles into the trip. Ugggggg.

If its an auto trans I'd check for the level, I had a tranny line burst the day after a new engine got put into my 96 impreza. check the fluid level and go from there.

Checked the fluid. It's fine and red, not black or darkened. The tranny is definitely going- no reverse, no 2nd and 4th gears. If you can help answer the above questions i would be indebted. Especially the one on the 43k tranny for $595.

Don't have any advice on the transmission source.

Here is a link to the Separator Plate that can leak and is accessible with the engine or transmission removed.

http://allwheeldriveauto.com/subaru-seperator-plate-explained/

I seem to remember on some board about a trans filter that slipped down and prevented the fluid from being picked up by the pump, not sure if its related to your issue or not.

Seeing the problem appeared 48 hours after doing some work on the transmission, I would drop the pan and verify the filter at least is still in place before writing off the transmission.

$600 for a low mileage transmission is a good deal. Just be careful when you or whomever installs it. The TC often will not fully seat, likes to hang up about 1/4 inch short of being fully seated. When this happens and the transmission is bolted down, the internal oil pump gets destroyed.

Edited by john in KY

A few questions:

1) Will any other year of Outback work for my transmission, or only the 97?

2) I have a quote from swtransmissions.com for a tranny with 43,656 miles for $595, including free shipping and a 180 day warranty. Not sure if this is with the core or not, but it seems to be the absolute best price for the mileage I can find. Should I grab it?

3) Do I have to replace the torque converter or any other part at the same time?

you can use any outback trans 96 - 98 without problem. you can also use a 96 - 98 GT trans or LSi trans but your speedo may be slightly off. (the speedo gears in the trans match the stock wheel size.) so shop around.

having said that, the 97 trans with 43k miles free shipping and a 6 month warranty is a pretty good deal. you may be able to find a cheaper one but if yiu have to ship it the price will go up, maybe 150$.

have you looked here: http://www.car-part.com

usually the torque converter comes with the trans. you have to unbolt it from the engine to get the trans out. and no one wants to swap a trans and not the TC only to find out the TC was bad.

ABSOLUTELY, read up on seating the torque converter. there was a great thread on how to, but the pics have been lost. the write up is still good but no pics, search "torqueconverter".

if you do not seat the torque converter properly you will need yet another trans. it isn't really hard to do as long as you know you need to do it. the folks who have had trouble are the ones who did not know.