Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I'm looking to replace my 1997 Legacy w/210K miles sometime this year. I think I will stay with either the Outback/Legacy or get an Impreza. What are the bad years, enginewise for these cars? I thought I remembered that 1998 to 2002 were the headgasket issue years? Please correct me if I'm wrong. Any other years and problems to avoid?

I'm looking for a good daily driver as I put over 30K on the car a year - the only reason I don't want to buy new.

Thanx

Do some more Searching to confirm, but the EJ25/2.5 from '96-2003? had HG issues- internal and external leaks depending on year. IF you can confirm they've had the latest HG installed, then I'd feel OK buying one, otherwise 'not so much'.

Read up on 'torque bind' if you're going w/an Automatic, and wheel bearings for the Impreza/Forester, among a few things that come to mind.

GL,

Td

Edited by wtdash

So would this be the gasket replacement fix or the goo fix? I'm checking out 2002 GT w/70K today and I want to know what I am in for? Is the HG a warranty fix for this year?

The 'goo' was for later phase 2 EJ251 and EJ253 but they also got new HG, as needed, I believe.

Td

Two years ago I sold my 230,000 95 Legacy LSi and bought a 73,000 99 Impreza Outback Sport. It has the phase II EJ22 and I have really enjoyed this car. I still miss the sunroof and leather seats, but the size difference was not as noticable as I had anticipated. The 2.2 is a great engine, even though it isn't as punchy as the 2.5 in the RS. The fun factor of the Impreza is def a couple notches above what my Legacy was. If you need to hang around the 10 yr old-ish model years, you might want to consider an Impreza witha 2.2.

The 2002 Legacy GT would have external leaks and just leak coolant. That year had a Phase II SOHC EJ25.

The DOHC is the one to watch out for.

So this isn't a major issue, or is it? With that low mileage, it would be like getting a brand new car - for me anyway. My wife gets the real brand new car.

So this isn't a major issue, or is it? With that low mileage, it would be like getting a brand new car - for me anyway. My wife gets the real brand new car.

I consider leaking coolant to be a major issue. You then run the risk of the car overheating and causing greater damage. Not to mention the risk it plays to animals and the environment.