Ultimate Subaru Message Board

last night i had a flat. to make it worse it was not one but two flats so i couldnt just throw a donut on and away i go.

to make a long story short i walked like 7 miles. got some help from a friend. came back and someone had stolen everything from my car.

they took my system out. i had it ran directly to the battery and they took the power wire and crossed the hot and ground and taped it.

so im pissed. and it gets worse. i get tires on it and try starting it. it wont start at all. got plenty of battery energy. windows go up and down real easy. dash lights are bright.

but its like im not getting anything through the starter. ended up rolling it off.

got home and checked fuses and stuff. no bad fuses.

been a really bad day. 500 dollars of audio equipment. flat tires, the 400 dollars in tools.

so anyone have any ideas on why i cant crank er up?

btw i just removed my power wire for the radio to begin with.

edit-94 legacy is what ive got

Edited by lone500

the dash looks fine to me. i dont have an immobilizer.

i still have lights and everything i just cant turn the key and start it. looked over my engine and didnt really find anything out of place. im stumped.

oh ya i remember seeing a engine code 12 on the way home.

Edited by lone500

Sorry about your bad luck, lone. Did you look under the dash or under the steering column? They might have messed around there trying to hotwire it (although I have no idea what wires you'd use to hotwire a car!)

Good luck. Hope something obvious jumps out at you.

it would be rather funky to see a error code for the key being bad. Maybe being tampered with?

double check the underbelly of the dash to see if any wires were mucked with. the ignition wires are bundle of 5 or 6 wires of thick gauge on the right side of the steering column. there is a connector around there too.. double check it to be sure.

starter switch sounds like the actual actuator in the starter itself not kicking on.. but that's my view of it :rolleyes:.

-Justin

looked underneath and found the 5 or so bundles of wires. all of them look ok. found the connector on that side too.

john where would these fusible links be?

i just cant imagine whats wrong. everything looks normal. battery has charge. when i turn the key all the dash lights come on and i hear little clicks. when i turn it to start it just does nothing. absolutely nothing.

battery has charge. when i turn the key all the dash lights come on and i hear little clicks. when i turn it to start it just does nothing. absolutely nothing.

if you are getting clicks when you turn the key chances are you have a bad battery connection or bad contacts in the starter.

try jumping it, and / or jumping a new hot wire from the battery to the small tab connector on the starter. (that's the one that tells the starter to engage, do it when the key is in the run / on position.)

shorting out the radio hot and ground could cook and age all sorts of things including the battery cable connections. i'm surprised your battery isn't dead or have a bad cell.

alright just went and started it with a peice of stereo wire they left me. bastards didnt leave my antenna wire. of all the nerve.

so we know my starter works!

its just in the starter switch. not sure how to fix that.

Those POS's had a hate on for you or were so stupid they thought they were doing a favor by spicing those wires. Our earlier is right in that the fuzeable link may have burnt before it damaged the switch contacts. Man I thought i had a bad day. good luck friend.- hey did they steal your manual too? Good wiring diagrams there.

Somebody else can lead you for all I can say now is the Haynes manual # 89100 has some pretty good electrical diagrams. I have seen some f links in the relay fuse comp under the hood but can't make sense of anything right now. Looks like much of this area goes right into the ECU. let's hope they didn't screw that. You're going to need some manual to help trace things.

any scans would be useful. of course the hard part is when ya get to the car and your like not sure lol.

but from what it looks like they tried doing something to the ignition (sticking something in it?) to start it and the car said FU and shut the ignition switch off.

i dont know. next step is to look for fuzible links.

That really sucks man. They'll get what's coming to them someday.

i had it ran directly to the battery and they took the power wire and crossed the hot and ground and taped it.

Was this the main power wire for the head unit? Was it fused?

If it was the accessory power wire then it probably cooked the fusible link for the main relay.

The code 12 is starter switch circuit. That's just a wire from the starter switch to the ECU to tell it when the ignition switch is turned to the "start" position. It will not prevent the starter motor from turning.

For some wiring diagrams, this site has some scans from 92MY Legacy FSM. http://www.surrealmirage.com/subaru/tech.html

Some good stuff here too. http://www.main.experiencetherave.com/subaru_manual_scans/

Actually the second link probably has more info because it looks like it has the entire FSM for 92.

Edited by Fairtax4me

first off guys its a manual tranny. figured you would know since well... never heard of anyone roll starting a automatic.

and thanks for any stuff to look at. maybe i can figure something out.

the wire they crossed was the power wire for the head unit. it was simply a wire ran directly from my battery to my radio. i had gotten a inline fuse but hadnt had time to put it in.

and ya fairtax im confused too. i get a code 12. i can roll start my car or i can run a hot wire from battery to starter and start my car, but when i turn the key from on to start nothing happens.

i can run a hot wire from battery to starter and start my car, but when i turn the key from on to start nothing happens.

you need to put a test lite on the small wire on the starter and see if it has juice when you turn the key? if yes, you can just wire in another relay. if no you will definitely have to track down the real problem.

does everything else work once the car is running.?

ok, got most of the relevant stuff scanned & cleaned up - have to get a couple more pages yet, but figured this would get ya started anyway...

named them according to what they are/pertain to & the sequential page # (01, 02, etc)

they are big files (for ease of reading) so I put them on my photobucket acct... look here

will get the last couple pages posted up in a few minutes. Hope they help!

ok - all posted up. if you have any problems getting to them, please let me know - I can always email them.

again, i hope they can help you track down the issue.

first off guys its a manual tranny. figured you would know since well... never heard of anyone roll starting a automatic.

must have missed the roll starting thing - my bad...

just an FYI tho - it is possible to roll start an auto - not easy, but can be done, and ya risk doing major damage to the tranny! :eek:

i appreciate the help with everything. been busy and havent been able to trace down the problem yet.

kinda worried about my front right wheel. the top of it is to far in towards the car and the bottom to far out. somethings broken or bent but im not sure what.