Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EA81: Newb engine question

Before the choir of Doh's and forehead flaps, keep in mind that this is the first time I have really gotten into being a shade tree mechanic, so there is a lot I don't know and have no local guys to educate me so I'm winging the hell out of things.

Can you turn the crank on an engine by hand with everything connected?

Last week I fixed a plug hole problem and the Brat fired up but this past few days I haven't been able to get more than a click. I checked all known connections and all is well, tapped the starter a few times, even removed it an put it back on. Nothing but clicking.

So I wondered if for some reason the engine locked up, thus the origins of the question.

Edited by MaddCelt

what kind of car do you have? ive been the worst at not supplying that info :grin:

if its anything like my ej22 then you can turn the crank by putting a ratchet on the main crank bolt and turning it. you shouldnt be able to turn it by hand alone.

and if you get a constant clicking sound when trying to start you probably dont have good battery terminal connections.

good luck

+1 on the loose battery terminal connections. Don't just check to make sure that the terminals are connected tightly to the posts, but also check to make sure that the wires are tightly connected to the terminals. That's where I found my problem with the single click.

Put the gearshift in 4th, take your foot off the clutch pedal, then release the handbrake. Now open and propthe hood. Push on the front of the car to rock it back and forth while watching the engine drive belts. If the engine

(belts) turns a little, the starter isn't hung up. If the engine doesn't turn, rock the car a little harder while listening for a satisfying clunk.

A clunk means the starter just broke free and the engine should turn now. No clunk? Then you'll have to remove the starter (Procedure 10). Be sure and read the EVERYONE section of this step.

Automatic transmission models: Set the handbrake, then put the gearshift lever in NEUTRAL. Use a

socket on the crankshaft pulley nut to turn the engine clockwise (Chapter 7, Procedure 5, Step 6, tells you how).

If the engine won't turn, remove the starter (Procedure 10), then try to turn the engine again. Read on.

EVERYONE (who has removed the starter): Once the starter is off, try to turn the engine with whatever

method you were using (car rocking in gear or socket on the crankshaft pulley). If the engine still won't turn,

the GOOD news is that the starter is probably OK. The BAD news is that something inside the engine is locked

up so an engine rebuild or replacement seems imminent. And, brethren, that is BAD news.

If the engine turns after the starter is removed, the starter motor is probably bad. Take it to an auto electric shop to see if they can salvage it. If you have to buy a new or rebuilt starter, shop around because the price

can vary radically from store to store

Page 197 How To Keep Your Subi Alive

From your earlier post, I'll assume you have a Brat. Is it manual or automatic transmission?

Socket you need is a 22mm. Might as well get one since it'll come in handy. You should be able to turn the engine over with a 22mm socket and breaker bar provided you are in neutral (make sure the ignition is off or battery is dis-connected).

I'm with the bad terminals on the battery. Then the battery itself; is it fully charged?

Glad to see you have a copy of HTKYSA. Great book for a new owner that's not too mechanically experienced.

More suggestions iavailable f you have eliminated the battery and terminals as being the problem.

I have had the no start clicking sound happen before on cars and the cure was to simply to clean the connections at the battery.The first time this happened to me I paid a mechanic to check it out. All he did was clean the connections at the battery and the cables as I watched, no test equipment or battery charger got attached. I did not believe this would cure the problem, however the car started fine. I did not even see corrosion around the connections around the top or the outside. It was a lesson I learned and always do this first, it's cheep and easy to do.

As mentioned previously, you should also make sure the battery is charged. Some accessory may have been left on and drained it, or something is draining the battery over time.

Have you tried to jumpstart the car?

Good luck

Paul