Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Guide me o great subugurus! New to me 78 DL 4X4

While i'm playing with the cell phone..

The first pic of the shagin wagon

car1stpic.jpg

And honestly most of my day was spent spit shineing. Just did an oil change, so she's lookin and feelin good. Have a spark plug job on this one in a couple thousand miles.

Wrxless.jpg

Bed time i guess, i appreciate the economic options to my problems. Great community for a great hobby. I'm want usmb stickers for both cars lol =D

So the saga continues..

Going to get paypal next pay check, so i can get those tail lights from shawnw and the calipers from subaru3. If you guys read this please hold them for me =D

I spent 30 bucks on some fiberglass, rustolium and related stuff. And got to work on pluging the holes. I didnt have much love for sanding fiberglass so i just smothed it out a bit. I plan on useing undercoating across the spare tire shelf to reinsure waterprofing. But the largest of my rust damage is gone.

in the wheel well.. used some fiberglass cloth for alot too.. solid as a rock.. maybe too solid 0.o.. hope it dosent flex alot.

wheelwellfixt1.jpg

top side..

wheelwellfix2.jpg

The tire rack.. was alot of holes everywhere on that shelf..

1stblackunderhood1.jpg

Have 1/2 of it painted and sanded / rust treated.. been hard at it..

1stblackpic1.jpg

1stblackpic2.jpg

Sorry i'm still sporting the cell phone, but something is better than not eh?

.. working like a dog to save an old scoob =D

Paint job is almost done.. few touch ups and some more fiberglass.. still need to do the undercoating.. but it's looking better than the baby blue prime job it had i think.. =D

black22.jpg

black21.jpg

black23.jpg

black24.jpg

the hood is poped, not bent btw lol

back to mechanical stuff soon..

I found a set of new calipers from advance auto. 42.50 each. Decided to go that route. Funny story, they ordered the part for me, supposed to be right caliper, Box said right caliper.. but it had a left in the box. I asked them to hold on to that one for me, because i will eventually want both new. But.. there's no part number for the driver side caliper.. it dosent exist in the computer.. but there it is in the box. lol.. So i'm thinking.. who cares about the missmatched part and the waranty involved. I asked them to continue to hold it for me.

I got the correct one the next day and put it on last night, did a little cleaning and rustoliuming while i was there too.

Other than that i'v been rewireing alot of the car, Headlights, radiator fan, and horn(not fully finished here). I have the floor fixed and the entire front floorboard coated in bedliner. Still a bit of a leak inside the car tho. working on it.

Turned out pretty good i think. I plan on ditching these wheels soon, so didnt spend much time sanding them. Going to clean the wheel wells and do some more painting tonight.

wheel1.jpg

wheel2.jpg

Shawnw and i are working on undamaged tail lights and i found a clutch from autozone for 30 bucks.

**important question**

I can install the new clutch without an alignment tool by..

Removeing old clutch and pressure plate. Install new and only hand tighten the bolts holding the plate on.

Then i can reinstall the engine. With the starter off i can see the bolts and finish tightening them. Every other one, and evenly, untill they are all at 20ft lbs torq?

Do i have this right?

Anyway.. that's what's going on. It's been Hard to decide what to do check for check when it needed so much.. And so much less now.

Thanks for looking and all the help!

[quote name=Nubaru;954618

I can install the new clutch without an alignment tool by..

Removeing old clutch and pressure plate. Install new and only hand tighten the bolts holding the plate on.

Then i can reinstall the engine. With the starter off i can see the bolts and finish tightening them. Every other one' date=' and evenly, untill they are all at 20ft lbs torq?

Do i have this right?

Anyway.. that's what's going on. It's been Hard to decide what to do check for check when it needed so much.. And so much less now.

Thanks for looking and all the help![/quote]

Yes you should be able to do it that way. Others on this board do it that way. I have yet to try it but probably will the next time my engine is out.

Had a couple days off in a row so i put some hours into it. Alot of worksite cleanup today :/ working out of the hatch can get a bit messy lol.

Anyway, i finished all but the front driver wheel wells and wheels yesterday. Turned out well for just cleaning and painting, sanding down the rusty spots.

rearwheel.jpg

So my cosmetic work and fiberglass work is all but finished. Floating ideas where to put the rest of the red in.. roof stripe or.. stripes? Anyway here she sits as she'll look when she drives.

donefornow.jpg

The stripe turned out great, have 1 little spot to sand and paint again. But it brings the car alive! My nephews both gasped when i shut the hood and showed them for the first time lol.

stripeclose.jpg

Today, i pulled the engine again for the clutch i get tomorrow, And some other things i want to deal with.

Who needs an engine stand? lol

picklebucket.jpg

The things on my mind are..

1. My rear main seal (i think) is leaking, the seal around the crank shaft right behind the flywheel. It is likely influenced by the hoses from the valve covers not being connected to my air cleaner. I'm recently understanding why this is so important. Cause it gushes oil out of random seals when the pressure isnt right. So, is that why it's leaking? will it go away with propper pressure? and if not.. can i live with it for a while or should i replace it now? I mean.. it takes like 30 min to pull the engine and get to it again.

So with that being said, i need to know the general essentials about the remaining pressure hoses.. What can i still ditch and what do i keep?

so on to..

2. The quarter trick again.. i did the "can lid" erg valve removal.

This is the pipe i dont need without my egr valve? If that's correct, i dont think a quater will fit in there. If i'm after the right pipe, i can find something to fit and seal both ends.. But i'm a freaking noob and i want to remove all the crap, but want to keep what i need.. just dont want to mess anything up :/

So..

Quartertrick.jpg

Hopefully it's cruising with farm use tags by this weekend.

As always thanks for any advice!

Edited by Nubaru

• 1 month later...

Thought i would dig this up and post a little update picture. I want to make a vid soon.. but it's still incomplete, got some help from moosens to replace.. well the entire cooling system. That aside..

octoberpic.jpg

New 32/34 dgev weber, works very well! Even got a coment as to how my suby climbed right up a hill that my friends yugo would have to avoid.. lol

It has a little lag from idle, but seems that this is common.

It has an electronic disty, guess it came with the newer fatcase engine. So that's good news for me =D.

Needed a new fuel pump for the weber. The old one couldent supply it, so i got a 30 gal/hr 4 psi one from o'riley and the weber is working very well.

Shortly after the fuel pump was replaced my alternator died. Brushes were gone. So i found a brand new ultima alt for 30 bucks, oriley's again. Lifetime waranty and it's shiny and new! happy about it.

I kept my egr, but welded it shut and rtv / gasketed the manifold. Removed all of the air suction system and the aav. Caped it all and i'm free of vac leaks.

My pcv system is the wrong size tube, going to fix that when i get the new heater hose.

I cleaned and painted my rocker covers. Also cleaned the rockers and checked the lash. Seemed a little off, but close.. would .008 be good for all?

There was alot of gunk in there. All cleaned out, Still seems rattley though.. are they all this loud?.. stuff for the video i guess..

None the less except for no heater and a decent leak in the top of the radiator.. she pretty well screams now. Feels like 80-90 hp..

And there's this...

exhaustnew.jpg

2" from the Y-pipe to a thrush glass pack, no cat, yea she's pretty loud. I usually make a quick turn if a cop is going to follow me up a hill lol. "Sounds like an airplane" =D

Anyway that's what i have been up too.. after the radiator i'm going to finish up some body work, fix the last little leak in the cabin and get my hatch latch welded back on lol.. wireing, find another engine, ... it goes on forever i guess lol

I have grown very attached to it and view it as a rare and awesome old car (i get alot of comments!) and most of all it's been a great teacher. I have learned so much from it and am motivated to learn even more..

For instance.. My girlfriends sister overheated a chevy 2.2 ecotec and burned the rings. i Took it appart in minutes and comfirmed my diagnosis. Overheat, burnt oil on 3 spark plugs, and about 1/4 inch thick on top of the piston, no milkshake.. rings are bad end of 2.2 ecotec.. dont even need a compression test to know there's no squish.. Anyway.. i find one on ebay for 650 and it's in discussion for me to replace it... And i'm confident i can do it!

Just like to thank the people of this board, google, and my crappy little subaru for teaching me something useful..

Anyway.. i really want to make a video and show it off =D