Ultimate Subaru Message Board

So, we are tryin to pull the trans out of our 03 wrx (long story) and are having trouble getting it to separate from the engine block. We followed the book and from what it says, we should be able to just slide it right out....but its not budging.

Any suggestions...or think we may have missed something?

automatic or manual trans?

auto - make sure all the torque converter bolts are out.

go all the way around and make sure you're not missing a nut or bolt. starter is removed?

has it separated at all? they usually take a bit to start coming apart - work you're way around, and around, and around start with a small screw drivers/chisel then move up in size as you get a gap to work with.

automatic or manual trans?

auto - make sure all the torque converter bolts are out.

go all the way around and make sure you're not missing a nut or bolt. starter is removed?

has it separated at all? they usually take a bit to start coming apart - work you're way around, and around, and around start with a small screw drivers/chisel then move up in size as you get a gap to work with.

sorry, should have mentioned that....its manual. And no, it hasnt separated at ALL! Im not sure if the starter was removed yet. Im not the one working on it, my boyfriend is..so I'll ask him.

Sometimes they just stick together. I usually hit against the flat spot on the block above the starter first, have an old trowl w/o a handle, sharpened blade that I use there between the block and bell housing. Once you get it to crack a bit, putty knives or small screwdrivers work fine to work it apart evenly. Don't feel bad, the '05 I did on Sunday took an hour to work apart.

Be sure you pulled out the clutch cross shaft. It's behind an allen head plug in the trans case next to the starter. Thread a 6mm bolt into it and pull it out.

If the engine and trans are stuck together start with the putty knife and hammer and split them, then progress to screwdriver then prybar as they spit apart.

Sometimes they just stick together. I usually hit against the flat spot on the block above the starter first, have an old trowl w/o a handle, sharpened blade that I use there between the block and bell housing. Once you get it to crack a bit, putty knives or small screwdrivers work fine to work it apart evenly. Don't feel bad, the '05 I did on Sunday took an hour to work apart.

thanks, man. We'll def try all that tonight...

i'll be sure to let you all know how long it took...

I remember doing a clutch job on a 04 wrx was going nuts trying to seperate it. Spent a good 3-4 hours!!!!!!!

Then my friend looked into it and said to remove the clutch fork luckily the screw used to hold one of the covers worked and the shaft came out no issue. When I put it back I lubricated everything.