Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hello all, it has been a long time since i've posted. I have a new car (since December '09) it is a 1999 legacy outback with 67k on it, automatic, power everything. Since I got it there has been an issue where it seems like as its changing gears from 1st to 2nd that it slips and sometimes jerks into 2nd gear. In June as I was going to Montreal right at the border the transmission line busted and dumped fluid at the border!!! The car was not driven afterwards, it was towed to a Quebec garage where they ripped me off and and charged me $500 for 5 inches of transmission line and fluid. I am trying to sell the car before I move back to Montreal and while the slipping still exists it has not gotten worse but i'd like to know some thoughts on potential issues from buyers.

-Is it a transmission issue inside? or can it potentially just be a filter change and thats it? I thought of flushing the line because theres only 67k, but i've been told by the mechanic where I work (Quechee Golf Club) that there are potential risks to flushing a line with many thousand miles on it. Any thoughts? Thank you very much for all opinions and thoughts on the matter.

Thomas

If you have the external filter change it. Don't drop the pan, as there is only a screen filter in the transmission and it does not have to be changed.

Drain the fluid

Fill the transmission

pull the transmission line off the radiator and put a hose on both to send them into a gallon jug.

Start the car, the old fluid will pump out, it will be dark red.

Stop when it's about 2 liters and refil the transmission.

Keep doing this until the fluid being pumped out is clean as can be.

Put the radiator trans hose back on and run the car and check the fluid level.

This change does not shock the system like some of the power flushes do.

+1 on what Larry said.

Use a Subaru Transmission filter http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/66-problems-maintenance/23762-subaru-transmission-filter-different.html

Some have used Valvoline MaxLife ATF and a quart of Trans-X in their 95-99 4EAT with good results.

Suggest just use one plastic bottle of Trans-X, that is about 15 oz. In my opinion a quart of Trans-X would be too much.

thank you very much for all your help. I bought a new oil and transmission filter and Trans-X, I will be with the mechanics on friday and work on it. I hope to see a notable difference from all the stories I've read. Again, thank you very much.

I bought my '99 Legacy OBW Limited with only 1,000 miles more on it than your's has. I've put nearly 20,000 miles on it with no tranny issues at all other than the usual delay from reverse to drive which improved with adding Trans-X.

It's hard to completely diagnose a problem like your's here, but it would be prudent (and much cheaper) to do the steps outlined previously and try to see if that will resolve your issues. Slippage is usually a sign of problems with the bands but it is not beyond the realm of possibility that restricted hydraulic pressure due to clogs could be mimicing the same symptoms. By flushing the tranny yourself with a fliter change as stated and adding a bottle of Trans-X while being careful not to overfill it, hopefully it will take care of the problem. Next step if not would be to locate a used tranny. I wouldn't invest in a rebuild with selling the car as it's unlikely you would see the money back.