Ultimate Subaru Message Board

best place to buy exhaust for an ea-81?

I took my 1981 wagon into Merlin's yesterday. It has a small leak where one of the welds connects the heat shield. Nothing bad. I was stunned at the price. He'll do the whole thing for 350, but the labor is only 90. Does anyone have a suggestion on where I can get the parts, or should I just bite the bullet and get it done? (Or, just drive it as is?)

www.rockauto.com has the complete header for $265 :rolleyes:

Frankly - if he's doing a whole new exhaust from the engine to the muffler for $350 - that's a good deal. While he's at it tell him to use 2" from the cat back :).

You can patch holes a number of ways if that's all you want. But sooner or later the rust is going to take out the whole thing and it's not going to be worth fixing. If it's already got holes in it you are probably just borrowing time and maybe not that much time either.

$350 for a complete exhaust is peanuts. $90 is likely for 1 or 2 hours of labor and he's buying a new header like those availible online (but you don't pay shipping which is a win), etc.

It sounds like his prices are good and you are cheap - which is pretty typical of old Subaru owners in general - especially those of us that do all our own work.

You could get into an entry level 110v MIG welding setup for $350 or just a little more. Then you could have the pleasure of doing it yourself. Which really isn't that much fun actually :-\.

GD

I agree with GD. Thats really not that bad of a price for a exhaust system. You dont wanna kno what i payed for my damn Stainless exhaust on my car :lol:. That purchase came from me getting tired of doing exhausts every few years when one rotted out or throwing patches on top of patches.

GD--You are right. I am cheap. I prefer frugal. Aren't we all? I would love to weld it myself. It is a talent I have never tried. Unfortunately, with my luck I'd start the car on fire. Then I would be upset. Really, 2" exhaust after the cat? Will it add that much performance?

Yes - we are all cheap. I am getting a little less so with age though. Money well-spent vs. poorly spent is the distinction I try to make now. :rolleyes:

2.25" (what I meant) will just allow it to breath better after the cat. The stock exhaust is 1-7/8 IIRC. 2.25" is easy to get and will help a little. The header should be left stock for a stock engine as they really aren't much of a restriction and they do well at scavenging.

Replace the muffler with a cherry bomb, etc. Makes for a nice exhaust note.

GD

GD--

I hear you on that. Gewtting tired of paying multiple times. I will try on the 2.25" but will pass on the cherry bomb. Not the kind of sound I want from my little 1.8.

Any help answering the clutch adjustment question I posted???

Thanks,

Alex

usually i would agree with you on the cherry bomb RallyAlex, but on my old hatch i had no cat and no muffler, just ~2 foot section of a glasspack midway thru the exhaust. and it wasn't loud at all, just nice.

but obviously do whatever you want, just make sure you put a high flow muffler on there (if you are doing a muffler) the stock ones are very restrictive from what i've heard.