Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Lookin for the 4 runner shock that fits the subie wagon

mikewilke77

I think there is something wrong with the strut you had. all of the gen 3 lifted and non lifted Subarus that i am aware of are running stock struts. and we beat them HARD.

do you have any lift? what tires are you running? how do you drive off road?

find a used set at your local pullapart/pickandpull/ etc. should run you about 40 bucks.

Edited by Markus56

I bent the stock, brand new shock/strut, on a camping trip. I've got the 2" lift blocks at 15 degrees. I was loaded down pretty good and running pretty fast down a jeep trail. That said, I have heard the rear shocks are the aquiles heel of a gl/loyale wagon. Someone had posted the part nuber for a 4runner shock that is the same height as the loyale's rear shock.

I've bent front strut tubes on my lifted wagon. If you haven't done that yet then you aren't even close to being rough on your car. I don't think there's a part I *haven't* replaced except the body, fuel tank, and welded rear diff (lucky I guess). Engines, transmissions, axles, control arms, struts, wheel bearings, diff hanger, trailing arms.... the list goes on.

The stock dampening from the struts just isn't enough. The solotion is to add an extra shock at each wheel with custom brackets. That's the only way you are going to get your rig to catch serious air and not break the struts.

GD

A 4runner has a rear coil spring with a shock, not a strut. That would be used on gen 2 subarus that have torsion bars. There is no use for one on a loyale.

ummmm....no. gen 3 4runners have a coilover front shock that's almost identical to gen3 subaru rears.

here's a Rancho one for a 97 4Runner from RockAuto:

RS5762.jpg

I am curious, however. When you say "new stock strut", what brand?