Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Is it likely that I would need to replace plugs or wires after 50,000 miles? The car runs rough when first started after it rains. I spritzed the wires with water and saw some minute sparks in a few spots. This car has 153.000 miles. The wires are subaru wires. I did not see any arching on the distributor.

What year and model/engine?

The EJ22 stock plug should be replaced, but the EJ25's platinum should be OK to 60K, which is good since they are a PITA to replace.

The wires should be replaced if sparking. I'd double-check how they're routed to ensure they're not in harm's way.

Td

Edited by wtdash

I use NGK copper wires that I bought at Sparkplugs.com. They're inductively wound to eliminate radio noise, and use silicone insulation. They're MUCH better than stock Subaru carbon-string wires, and not very expensive. I've had them 8 years and they still look like new.

What year and model/engine?

The EJ22 stock plug should be replaced, but the EJ25's platinum should be OK to 60K, which is good since they are a PITA to replace.

The wires should be replaced if sparking. I'd double-check how they're routed to ensure they're not in harm's way.

Td

99 forester 2.5

the arcing doesn't sound good at all, i'd think they need replacing. i've never heard if there's an "acceptable" amount of arcing or not.

i normally recommend OEM Subaru, that's usually the best fit for most people.

i use magnecors, great quality and service for the price and last the life of the vehicle, or if you're a subaru freak like me they'll last the life of a few Subaru's! don't buy from magnecor, shops/online vendors have them much cheaper than magnecor itself.

50,000 is relatively short, i would assume something happened to them...overheated or compromised in some way. how old are they? did they ever sit for a long period of time? wonder if age is getting to them?

If you have any wire arcing, then your wires are bad. Subie OEM wires are good, but not impossible to have them go bad. I use Bosch wires on my OBW. They have been on the car for 4 years, and still performing well. I bought them at an auto parts store, which is a lot closer to where I live, compared to going to the Subie dealer.

Avoid the cheapie wires at the parts stores, they just don't hold up.