Ultimate Subaru Message Board

so lets save the environment and fix my mileage issue

So, got the weber 32/36 in (and the 5 inch lift) but running stock tires for now, I am at 125 miles and ive used 3/4 of a tank. So my mileage sucks to say the least. I think of a couple of things. I can see gas dripping down the barrels after I shut the car off for a good 5 minutes afterwards. I believe gas drips down the barrel as it idles too. So I am thinking it is either

A) a sticky float valve

b)I need a fuel pressure regulator

Sooo couple of questions.

1) where can I buy the inline fuel pressure regulator.

2) I also think it could be float level. What is the level supposed to be set at like the distance between the tab and valve? or however you measure it preferably for the offroad setting

3) Could it be a sticky float valve, and would rebuilding it help?

4) anything else???? :banana:

Thanks again, without your help and GD's help i wouldnt be driving my lifted subie right now.

-Jeff

O.K. float doesnt make it through shipping. Re-adjust. Look it up. Simple. You need to know it. Pressure regulators, the $100 redline one works like a champ. I've had problems with the other $30 or less kinds. Stuck on the side of the road kinds. Bow Wow, Auto zone, Online? Call Jim Greens(?) in monroe. They just moved there. You are there, I put a fuel return on my weber. I don't know if it makes a difference really yet, but it might save you the regulator if you watch your lines and pull out the little one way valves for more flow.

You don't need a FPR. The stock pumps are great on the Weber.

Definitely check the float level. Try the docs over on carbsunlimted.com - should have the spec you need.

When did the mileage take the hit or has it always been poor?

With my lifted wagon I've found I'm lucky to get over 20 MPG. Part of that is that it has to be driven like you stole it to not get run over. But I'm also running 27" tires.

GD

If this is a former spfi car and you didn't change the pump that is your culprit, those run 30 psi and the webber only needs 3 max.

From experience I can say this would be a VERY bad situation and he would probably know about it. Without the SPFI's pressure regulator keeping them at 21 psi, the SPFI pump's actually put down about 50 psi. This would be thrice-over enough to blow the needle right off the seat and flood the whole engine bay with gasoline. Definitely a bad day. This occured on my truck actually when the mechanical fuel pump developed an issue with it's internal regulator - the carb was spraying fuel from the throttle shafts - all over the hot cast iron intake manifold and exhaust headers.....

I would have to say that if he's driving it well enough to track the mileage then it's highly unlikely that he's got an SPFI pump. :lol:

GD

I was getting 26mpg with a 2" lift on 26.5s (till I blew a head) ea81 wagon. I'm sticking with the float sticking, they do. Mine froze stuck in shipping. Its easy, some people lose the little ring clip on the linkages but a small screwdriver and a small forceps work great for not losing it. If you do, wire.

I like the webers directions, (fpr), the return is a good idea as the float wont handle more than 3.5lbs..... and you have a drip even when you turn it off you say?..... tested the exact pressure yet?

Soooo i adjusted the float. the top of the float (valve closed) was the right distance 35mm is what I found. The bottom of the float ( valve open) was not, and needed to be bent down to 51mm, it was at about 45 or so. I am hoping this will solve my mileage issue, I couldnt see any gas dripping at idle. guess we will just have to see when I run a tank through her!