Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Cylinder Head Torque?

I have searched all over for the proper torque for the cylinder heads on an EA-81 and was not able to find it. I did however find a post about torqueing the heads in three steps is that recommended? I also found something about needing a special 17mm socket for the middle nut is that something I can make or need to purchase? Lastly, Do I torque the rocker arm bolts that hold the heads to the same torque as the heads? Thanks a lot.

You torque the rocker arm assembly bolts like head bolts as well. It is a three step torque sequence and the center one was a problem until i realized that after you torque the heads down to spec, you take the rocker arm assemblies off to put the pushrods back in ( in other words your torquing the heads on without the pushrods installed). Since you are just taking the rocker arm assemblies off you can make some sort of spacers to take the place of the rocker arm assemblies. I just happened to have two ea81s so i took apart a rocker arm assembly and installed just the sections that goes between the bolts and the head and torqued it all down that way. Then i took those back out and torqued the rocker arm assembly on.

Doing it this way you dont need to buy a special tool for that center 17mm nut.

Also common practice is to do a final torque slightly higher than the factory 47 if your using the permatoque gaskets from felpro. I went with 54 ft pounds.