Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Older wheels... New paint

Sanding and priming should occur before painting.

And you need to remove the valve stem to do a proper job.

Due to the creases in the metal on steel rims I find that it is most effective to just sand blast them to bare metal and start over. The rust that forms in the folds of the metal tends to pop the paint in those areas. Prepping by blasting to bare metal and then washing with Lacquor Thinner before paint seems to work alright.

Since you have time on your hands - why don't you post on craigslist and see if anyone can blast them for you cheap - then try one of those DIY powder coating kits at harbor frieght and bake them in your oven. You might actually make a few bucks on them that way. Cost to blast and powder coat a set is about $100 locally. If you do that you ought to be able to sell them for about that much plus the value of the rims.

They aren't worth much unless they are properly finished. Maybe $10 a rim. Not really worth the time to paint them unless they are properly finished as above.

GD

If you want something to look good you need to prep them well. If you dont care then you dont care. I can see you need to do some finish sanding then probally a recoat and clear coat.

When i did my rims i spent about an hour per rim sanding the little creases and makeing it fairley flat.

picture.php?albumid=138&pictureid=1649

Painted 3 coats primer, 3 coats black and i still had 1 rim peal paint after a year. GD is right that sandblast or sodablasting is best but they are only 13inch wheels so it depends on what you want to do with them.

Edited by The Dude Abides

Either take them to be sanded blasted or be prepared to take some time sanding! Every rust spot needs to be to shiny silver again or the paint will just pop off within two weeks or so. I have spray painted quite a few rims now cause I did rally cross for a while, and trust me you will probably want to keep them after you put all that effort into them. Cause they will look good when they are done.

Very nice both of you!

Mine have been sanded down to smooth and painted, they dont look as good as those two sets do, but mine (when dry) will be sanded again, and recoated and pics will be taken...

Even as they sit now, each rim is in 7/10 condition for the paint on the face side... Hopefully will be in 8.5-9.0/10 when finished...

Agreed... Yours do not look as good as the last two pictures posted... But yours look good... Id put them on a Subaru as a DD and just say the heck with it since they will look good spinning...

The last two posters - I wouldnt put yours on a DD, yours are incredibly clean and Id put them on a show car lol.

Nice job all of you

Having met Earl, I would bet they are on his daily driver. The man has a knack for details.

Thanks for that complement.

The wheels went on this 1981 brat that I restored and sold:

dsc04760z.jpg

dsc04776.jpg

dsc04761u.jpg

dsc04769d.jpg

Here's some video of a walk around:

I hope to do another one someday and keep it.

Edited by Pooparu

I just did a set myself.

DSCN3011.jpg

DSCN3014.jpg

DSCN3012.jpg

I didnt have the luxury of a sand blaster, so I had to use a wire wheel on my grinder to get all the paint off.

What kinda paint did you use? these look BADASS! I want some!!!!

I used the "hammered" ratttle can on mine and they looked good for like a week, and now I want to repaint them...maybe should use better product or maybe go the clear coat way......I wanna get em sandblasted and restart but broke as broke could be....someday

1121091908.jpg

1126091236.jpg

-Nomad