Ultimate Subaru Message Board

STi muffler will sound like crap on the EJ22. From experience I can tell you it's bad..... makes people around your car feel like vommiting.

If you want it to be louder - knock the muffler off and replace it with a straight-through.

The EJ22 doesn't have the cams or the displacement for the STi muffler to sound right. It will sound horrible. Like a tiny engine with a gigantic exhaust (weak and tinny).

You don't need to upgrade the exhaust at all until you are well into higher HP numbers. The stock exhaust is plenty for the EJ22 and frankly even a mildly built EJ22 or a stock EJ25 would be fine.

GD

Edited by GeneralDisorder

I run a cat-back borla system on my impreza and it is super quiet at low rpms. I really like the sound of it. However it was about 600$ new so that kinda sucked, I would suggest looking into similar systems and see what you find. The tip design helps a lot (I have never seen a tip shaped the same way) at keeping the sound down. Its 3 inches tapered down to about 2 or so where it meets the actual muffler.

Unless its rusting apart, don't waste your money, you've got 135 horse, a muffler isn't going to change anything, except make you more visible to the local constabulary.

+1. Huge waste of money.

It will not affect DEQ to put any kind of exhaust on as long as you retain the header with the y-pipe and cat. Anything beyond that will just change the sound.

I'll just put this out there since you seem to be very concerned about being able to mod your new Legacy:

There is basically NOTHING that is cheap or easy to upgrade on a first-gen EJ22 Legacy. It is what it is - the best bang for your buck is to buy cams from Delta for $160 and install them along with a new timing belt, water pump, and reseal. They are easy and the torque cams WILL make a big difference.

Beyond that - you are looking at about $1000 minimum to get into a 2.5 block or get a start at turbo-charging it. Frankly that car isn't worth it. The body is trashed. It's a nice cheap commuter. You should just leave it be and let it be reliable and cheap for you. When you have money you should START by buying a different car that has actual performance potential and has decent looks to go with it. Something with a turbo would be a good start.

GD

Edited by GeneralDisorder

I have realized it will be expensive. I just want somethings to set my car apart from others.... and the main thing to do (at least at my age) is:

- Rims

- Exhaust

- Sound

- Performance

- Lights

Etc.

Since this car only has 130k (and Im anal about maintenance) I imagine that this car should get me another 100k+ miles, and so since Ill have it at least 5 years, I will want a stereo (this one doesnt work) and Ill want an exhaust, rims probably wont happen, I wanna get rid of the ones that were on it and get ones that I know are stock on some Subaru (Finally have 5 lugs which Ive never had) and smoking the lights is another interest...

I want something that people will know its me coming, all my Subarus have had distinct sounds, but this one just sounds plain, maybe the muffler on it, I have no idea.

I dont want a teeny bopper right at all, no body kits, no huge ricer exhaust (fart can) I just want something that sounds real and looks semi cool.

I have realized it will be expensive. I just want somethings to set my car apart from others.... and the main thing to do (at least at my age) is:

- Rims

- Exhaust

- Sound

- Performance

- Lights

Etc.

Since this car only has 130k (and Im anal about maintenance) I imagine that this car should get me another 100k+ miles, and so since Ill have it at least 5 years, I will want a stereo (this one doesnt work) and Ill want an exhaust, rims probably wont happen, I wanna get rid of the ones that were on it and get ones that I know are stock on some Subaru (Finally have 5 lugs which Ive never had) and smoking the lights is another interest... You won't be smoking any lights unless the subie is 2wd, and if it is its not really a subaru is it?

I want something that people will know its me coming, all my Subarus have had distinct sounds, but this one just sounds plain, maybe the muffler on it, I have no idea. The Police will take an extra special liking to your car if its unique and has chrome rims, Police do profile.

I dont want a teeny bopper right at all, no body kits, no huge ricer exhaust (fart can) I just want something that sounds real and looks semi cool. Semi cool is a matter of opinion, I would think most here would think you're making your car teeny bopper whether you see it or not.

I'm not here to poop on your Popsicle, sure a nice stereo is a good thing to have, and you can get newer subie rims on craigslist for really cheap, but lights will get you pulled over and a loud exhaust will too. Just be aware of your state laws on lights and exhaust and you'll be fine.

Just move to washington! All of my friends in my town have PA's, exhausts, and flashy lights. The only thing that seems to be an attention getter (at least in my town ((for the cops))) are the fake blue hid lights. Just read up on your laws to see what you can do.

Keep it classy and people will recognize you. I found that converting my body styling from a 1997 impreza L to a 2.5rs with 22b vents actually turns quiet a few heads. There are plenty of things you can do that are fun, teach you a lot about cars, and legal.

I had a 1991 Legacy at your age, a few more miles though (155k at that point).

I think the best upgrade for that car is WRX rims. They fit just right and are larger than stock (16 vs 14). The rims you mentioned are 15's that come on the Turbo Legacy or mid-90's Outbacks. (Those are also 1991 Legacy SS's-turbos, they have about 160hp)

Quite frankly, without a turbo, the only thing you can do to make the car sound good is go with a straight pipe or just some resonators with no muffler. I don't know the laws in your state but if you don't have emissions (I know Indiana does not have inspections) you could get away with making decent noise.

Driving/Fog Lights are a good idea too. The stock headlamps are terrible (even when cleaned), so having some aux lights helps.

Quite frankly, without a turbo, the only thing you can do to make the car sound good is go with a straight pipe or just some resonators with no muffler.

Cams - helps with the sound too and probably the quickest, easiest, cheapest way to get more power. For $160 and some seals you can increase your torque by a considerable amount.

GD