Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Which Tires (love or hate them)

Just found that Tirerack doesn't list the Assurance Triple Tred for the 08 OB because it has H speed rating as compared to original equipment V rating.

I was pretty happy with the TTs on my 05 OB but that setup matched the original speed rating of H for the 05.

Drats. Any suggestions?

i would get the lower speed rating if you liked those tires. it's not a big deal. there was a recent thread about this subject. it's not like one step lower is going to start blowing up.

as you know tire-rack and others have great reviews on their website.

I've been running the Triple Treads on my '02 for around 40k now. They wear pretty well. Prior I had V-rated Yokahama Avid V4s (only got about 40k miles total out of them). The Yoko's were definitely sharper on the dry and even the wet, but honestly I think they grab about the same in the snow/slush. I would be hard pressed to find a sizeable difference in snow grip between any of the all seasons I've run (including the RE92's!).

It is annoying though, here in NW NJ it doesn't snow quite enough for me to financially justify snows, but if I did I would consider some of the "high performance" snows (like the Michelin Pilot Alpin PA2/Dunlop Winter Sport) which seem to offer good dry/wet traction for all those clear days...

Edited by nickb21
Edit.

I've been running the Triple Treads on my '02 for around 40k now. They wear pretty well. Prior I had V-rated Yokahama Avid V4s (only got about 40k miles total out of them). The Yoko's were definitely sharper on the dry and even the wet, but honestly I think they grab about the same in the snow/slush. I would be hard pressed to find a sizeable difference in snow grip between any of the all seasons I've run (including the RE92's!).

It is annoying though, here in NW NJ it doesn't snow quite enough for me to financially justify snows, but if I did I would consider some of the "high performance" snows (like the Michelin Pilot Alpin PA2/Dunlop Winter Sport) which seem to offer good dry/wet traction for all those clear days...

Same here in lower CT. on the coast. Actually I think last year you got more snow than us.

Nokian WRG2

http://www.nokiantires.com/tyre?id=11899&group=1.01&name=Nokian+WRG2

My father got them as he is just too old to change and care for snow tires.

Some winters it snows lots and others it just doesn't.

I think it is wise to get these tires as they run quietly on dry pavement but are more ready than all season tires for winter.

He is rotating them every second oil change, we will see how long they last.