Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Bringing home a new one...

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wouldn't blame you for replacing the radio. Just do a nice job and use something like the Dual XR4110 that I and a few other's have used. It's worth it to do that but do it RIGHT. No hack job crap.

GD

NO never buy dual thats like buying a mighty max :lol:

what would seriously match is a marine alpine ipod deck its white also come in off white

if you cant get a stereo shimmed you probably shouldn't be doing any kind of "deck swap".

dual is GARBAGE no offense GD

you get what you pay for with most things dual is a walmart brand......... their electronics are... i wont buy anything from there ill put it that way

keep in mind his age too

marine decks are cheap too

im about quality for sure

i dont know about you 92_rugby_subie

ignore me if you dont really care :P

Im with Ben on this one, i think you should make a mobber out of it! But what do i know, Im just a dumb redneck that buys dual stereo equipment (which i think works great by the way lol). Whatever you do with it just have fun. That's my motto

Ryan

some dont strive for quality. if all you know quick fixes or cheap buys then that "works great" is your settlement.

ive never seen a kid that is into cars not be into stereo equipment thats all ive been through some brands i know bang for buck and i know whats quality.

one good reason to own a dual stereo is:

no one will steal it :lol:

saves you a window and plastic trim (amateurs fracture the ************ out of the consoles)

i wasnt tryin to step on anyone's toes and ive never seen a redneck with a dual deck... its usually the folk that only speak Spanish :lol:

Edited by True2Blue

Right now theres other issues to deal with.

Right axle kinda squeals? (GD do you still have one available?)

Windshield crack

Speakers are TOAST

Tach is hooked up but not accurate

Door panel off cuz driver window doesnt stay up

Back up light was out, but I FIXED THAT :):banana:

Front bumper damage

Otherwise pretty clean (well dirty, hasnt been bathed yet)

Will have more pics up from my house (previous are the PO's house) when she is clean.

Right now theres other issues to deal with.

True :rolleyes:

Right axle kinda squeals? (GD do you still have one available?)

bearings.. ive never hears an axel squeal..

Speakers are TOAST

onlinecarstereo.com good deals there that my store

Back up light was out, but I FIXED THAT :):banana:

:lol:

Gonna fix mechanical first...

PO said it needed an axle, GD said he had one, so hope he still does.

Want tach to be accurate, any ideas?

Backup light bulb was there, just wasnt installed, so I did that, you know, the first thing you replace thats simple but makes you feel like you accomplished alot, yea, that was it :)

1. To get to the cylinder dip switches you have to remove rear cup by placing the tachometer face down on. A phillips screw retains the cup so remove that screw located on the back. Gently lift the cup off to expose the circuit boards. Careful not to pull on the wires.

2. Locate the dips switches on the circuit board. Move each of the two switches to the proper cylinder selection according to the diagram illustration on the right.

4 Cyl. - Both switches down

6 Cyl. - Switch #1 down. Switch #2 up

8 Cyl.- Both switches up

3. Replace the cup back onto the tach with mounting bracket located at the bottom while making sure the wires are clear of the screw hole, then reinstall the screw.

Wiring the Tachometer

autogage2.jpg

Edited by True2Blue

dont quote me but i believe there are two phillips screws on the upper inside lip of the cluster housing once youve pulled the plastic then the cluster will be open exposing its mounting points i believe its 4 screws and your golden

there may be more i may be wrong but youll know in a few hours for sure.. i took a dash like that apart this year but it was at a JY and i didnt plan on slappin it back together so i didnt bother to remember anything

How do I pull that plastic (just for referring to this tomorrow when Im pulling it apart, I dont mess anything up)

This car will probably be at WCSS13 looking very clean, so screwing stuff up isnt really an option for me... Which is why I hammer the experts as yourself for your advice

i am no expert (yet) :lol:

the two upper screws come out then its willpull down the bottom of the plastic has little tabs that keep it in place to top will come down then it will pull right out ill do some searching to make sure im correct. you will know if thats not how it goes

Edited by True2Blue

dude im in washington lol same time.. i have work at 6:30 but im good to go with a full throttle

oh and if wont go dont force it.. take pics and upload them.. im subscribed to this thread.. ill be in the shop all day wrenching on a pos honda which means ill be near my computer

These cars pretty much predate hidden breakable clips. take out any screws you can see. Now take out any you cant see :lol:

If the surround still doesn't come off keep taking out screws that look like they may hold it. Some may be hidden in seams where the dash meets (at least on EA82's some were hidden) You may need a short screwdriver as you may need to get to the ones up above the gauges (the blade of the screwdriver will be pointing up to the sky and the handle will be hitting the steering column probably)

Update for today (so far)

-Just washed it... white pretty much washed off... not all the way, but rag kept swiping across white and the water was a mucky gray when it came off?

-Sister wanted to drive it... Parked at an angle facing the street (front end lower than back end) it started, but didnt stay running once gas pedal was depressed. Carb issue?

-No update on Tach as of 3:25pm here (Oregon) since its sitting in the sun to dry, then I will pull it in the driveway and get to work on that Tach :D

Questions:

What size tire can I go up to? Theyre 13s, but Ive got 155s on there, it feels like a bicycle lol. Maybe 185? 195?

Can I put power steering on this? I like the arm workout... but well, its a pain.