Ultimate Subaru Message Board

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was thinking about doing that but I can't figure out good clean install location

Run 2 insulated wires from the battery terminals and run them into your glovebox. Hook up a digital voltmeter and leave it on the front seat and the next time it happens you'll see the voltage drop if it's there. No need for a permanent voltmeter for troubleshooting such an intermittant problem.

Somewhere you have a bad connection which sometimes mis-behaves when you put a load on the battery.

Definately ur alternator. I had similar problems recently. I went through everything under the sun to diagnoss it. Had my alternator tested, and put a voltage meter to it and it was fine. I was stumped. Finaly i said ************ it and bought an alternator a week ago from napa for $140 with a lifetime garantee for as long as i own my car and now i have no problems what so ever.

Definately ur alternator. I had similar problems recently. I went through everything under the sun to diagnoss it. Had my alternator tested, and put a voltage meter to it and it was fine. I was stumped. Finaly i said ************ it and bought an alternator a week ago from napa for $140 with a lifetime garantee for as long as i own my car and now i have no problems what so ever.

Yeah I think I'm going to buy it this week I was driving down the driveway just coasting and all of a sudden the headlights went off but since i was still in gear my idle did not go funky..

I'm looking forward to taking it out and opening it up.. I wonder if the voltage regulators are going?

and is this your twin?

IMAG0019.jpg

Lol... I need to get that sticker. That guy wishes he was my twin, he has a ford that wishes it was subie wagon lol. I chose my name because the guys at work call me shaggy.

But i would definatley say that it is ur voltage regulator or ur brushes, an uneven surface or uneven brushes will cause them not to touch wich equals no power being created. But its probably the voltage regulator goin wacky. If u plan on keepin ur car for a long time i would go with one that has the lifetime garuntee. At my local napa it was only $10-$20 more than the one that had a 3 year warranty, so to me thats a no brainer. I'd pick one up as soon as u can so u dont ruin ur battery and/or brake down somewhere.

Either they're hookin u up or u are dreaming, the dealership told me $180 so i went to napa and got one so i didnt have to wait to have it shipped from a website for $140. But even if its not instock i'd get it, im sure it wouldnt take very long for them to get it.

well I was looking at the subaruparts.com site.. I heard from someone hear they have an overstock issue.. but I will call the dealer in the morning to check

*edit just noticed they have a $50 core price.. So hmm Do dealers make you pay a core?

Have you considered going to a salvage yard and getting a used one?

Not at the moment.. i was curious what other higher rated alternators from other Subaru models would drop right in? anything higher then 85A?

I do plan on putting in a sound system over the summer but nothing too crazy.. just a single 10" sub and 2 amps with new doors speakers.

Dont get one from the junkyard. I did that and it passed all the tests and seemed fine but it ended up being what was causin my car to act like it was. What year is ur car?

it's a 95

it looks like I can use an alt from an '03 Forester that's rated for 90 amps? I'm not sure if my plug on my car is 2 wire or 3.. but guessing it's just 2 wire.

Edited by 1-3-2-4

Unless someone here knows excactly how this would work, I wouldn't go there. Consider an extra flying leg for feedback sense to the alternator which didn't exist in 1995. Where is that going? I would think you are going back to normality and peace with this instead of dropping an unknown puzzle into it.

Sorry, I did that too often..:banghead:

Dont get one from the junkyard.

Sorry about your bad luck, Shaggin, but you shouldn't tell people what to do, or not do, based on your singular experience.

My son picked one up from Pull n' Pay a year and a half ago and it's worked perfectly every day since then.

Saved him some big bucks too.

I just didnt want anyone to have to go through what i went through. I pulled 4 different alternators had em tested and none of them were good then finaly they ordered one from portland and i got that one tested and it tested out fine, but when i got it in my car it gave me tons of problems. I shoulda just spent the big bucks on a new one so i didnt have to pay twice or go through the headache of deqling with it. Im sure there are decent ones out there but if u plan on havin ur car for a long time, i would get a new one. It sucked dealin with what i went through. It blew two sets of headlight bulbs also. Luckly they were still under warranty or there would have been another $50.