Ultimate Subaru Message Board

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This sounds extremely similar to when my alternator crapped the bed. The gauges malfunctioned as battery voltage went away. I did several posts on the subject as the malfuntioning alternator directly affected performance before it finally caused the Soob to die on an exit ramp.

I think I may still replace the alt when I get back just gotta pick up some electical tape

Good move: electrical tape NOW. If you don't have any issues with the alternator in the next month, you might not have to replace it (don't fix what's not broke is my motto). However, take your car to a good reliable shop to check the alternator and battery; not Schuck's or any of the numerous after market parts places, a quality shop that specializes in alternator repair.

Good move: electrical tape NOW. If you don't have any issues with the alternator in the next month, you might not have to replace it (don't fix what's not broke is my motto). However, take your car to a good reliable shop to check the alternator and battery; not Schuck's or any of the numerous after market parts places, a quality shop that specializes in alternator repair.

Will it took awhile for it to show up the second time

Well crap about to leave and its in the low 40's started the car and it was steaming like crazy it stopped when I gave it a little gas.. Im sure the HG is going its the passenger side
It's pretty normal for the car to smoke when cold. But keep tabs on coolant level in the overflow tank, just to be sure.

• 3 months later...

wow I just had the issue again but this time that wire was wrapped from the alt output.. I noticed when driving to a friends house one of my headlights (HIDS) went out.. and I thought ok.. I did not bump the switch.. So I dont think much of it..

So as I drive home and pull in my head lights turn off and my head unit (Alpine) restarts as if you are just starting the car up.. And i'm like what the hell?

So I pull in my space and I turn my blower speed to 4 and sure enough my idle dips, radio restarts and my headlights go off for a split second...

I check under the hood and the wire is still wrapped.. So I turn the car off and then restart it and try again with everything on and it does not do it anymore...

At this point I'm about to call it a day and just replace the damn alt.. I mean it was a reman anyways when I got the car but it's something I need...

I don't think the weather would have an issue on this?

Looking at the picture of the alternator connection there appears to be corrosion on the wires. I suggest you reterminate the main connection and if you have to cut out any corrodid wiring then splice in a good flexible wire to terminate to. I don't see signs of burning in the picture so that is good as it is a definate sign of a bad connection. Bad high current connections cause voltage loss.

The trouble you are having could be coming from another area possibly and not from the alternator. If you have fusible links check to make sure the connections to them are clean and making solid connection. Also make sure the wire from the battery to the main power panel under the hood is in good shape. It would also be a good idea to clean the battery to chassis ground connection. Another possible trouble spot is the ignition switch and connections to it.

So home now and about 3 weeks ago I cleaned the battery terminals and the posts for the cables that picture btw is old back during the fall I did not take one this morning since I was in a little rush but I did check the output and again it was showing fine.. I sat in traffic and turned on my loads again and it was fine :-/

And the main power panel are you talking the box with the fuses in them?

I wish this damn snow would all melt so I can start doing work. It can't be the ignition switch since turning things on like the headlights and hi beams and blower on all causes odd idle issues and a drop of almost 500 rpms.

I gotta check again.. It happened again when I was at the bank I was about to park to count my money and then I noticed the idle got weird then my headlights would go funny if I turn the air to 0 to 4.. something to suck up a lot of power when you turn it on.. so instead of counting I just went to the ATM and shut the car off for about 3 min. Went to leave and it's like nothing happened.

Man i sure which I could see the voltage when it goes nuts like that.