Ultimate Subaru Message Board

What to do while engine is out?

I am pulling my engine this weekend to replace the clutch. The car is a 1990 loyale with a 5 speed. 1.8 motor. I am going to replace the flywheel, pressure plate, clutch disc, throwout bearing and needle bearing. Should I replace the main seal? I do not know if the timing belt has ever been replaced in the 140,000 miles the car has on it. Along with the clutch replacement what else should I do while the motor is out?

Whew, glad I never had to replace the clutch on my 92 subaru loyale, I woulda hated having to pull the engine...

Suppose Ill have to anyway, but I wont have timing belts to replace :) whoohoo EA81s.

Now, since the engine is pulled, wouldnt it be helpful to do the headgaskets? or at least check them? I see ALOT of Loyales on Craigslist at 180k miles, or 220k miles that need HGs and they are all so cheap because of it, so would it be good to change it?

I wouldn't worry about the head gaskets if they aren't currently leaking.

Clean out the engine bay as best you can, it will make any work you do later, including putting the engine back in, easier.

Check the bearings on the pulleys for the timing belts, I had one fail 3000 miles after I did a timing belt. If you can swing it right now, replace them all, as well as the water pump and the oil pump seals and "O" rings, the oil pumps rarely go bad.

I just ordered the following.

clutch disc

pressure plate

throw out bearing

pilot bearing

rear main seal (just in case oem is leaking)

valve cover gasket set

water pump and gasket

intake and exhaust gaskets

cam and crank seals

oil pan gasket

timing belts and tensioner and pullys.

Planning on removing intake and maybee injectors and cleaning.

could not find a local flywheel. Hope my original one is in good shape.

I cant think of anything else. All parts are aftermarket and total cost is just over $500.