Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Calling All Gear Heads. Ea81 NO SPARK

I have a Ea81 out of a 83 Brat that I finished the Vanaru conversion on. It's run fine till about 3 weeks ago and now there is no spark. I have replaced the coil, the pick up coil and the cap & rotor. My vertical play in the disty shaft is less than 1/8 of an inch and I no longer have the fusable links. I am completly at a loss as to why I cant get any fire. If anybody has had this same issue or if you know somebody who has or even if your second cousin on your moms side through marriage, but once removed knew some guy back in high school who knew this other guy that might be able to figure out the problem PLEASE! PLEASE! PLEASE! Tell them to respond to the thread.

Thanks Everybody

Boo

Turbone- I've checked the ignition switch and have 11.8 volts at the coil.

Brumby- I've checked both wires coming out of the pick up coil (black & white and yellow) for continuity to which they both test fine, but when I test them for an open gound the yellow has no open ground and the black & white one does. I don't know if that is how it's supposed to be or if something is jacked up there. Do you know ??

If the tach doesn't bounce when cranking it would be the disty's pick up coil or.....whatever that thing is called....the little black thing with the wires coming out of it that tells the coil to fire. BRAIN FART Someone help me out here.

• Like 1

Pick-up coil in the disty went bad, or wire(s) to it have broke off.

I had one instance of the magnet under the "C" shaped piece in the disty shatter, a multitude of little pieces where found. No idea as to why it did that.

Slapped in another magnet, and it was good.