Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hi all :)

I've got myself a 2004 Outback these days. It seemingly has developed a small coolant leak, or perhaps has just gotten worse. I have owned the car for maybe two months tops, and I just topped off the coolant reservoir to the Full line.

The drip seems to be coming from somewhere above the jack plate. It's kind of hard to see clearly what's going on up in there.

Any ideas on what the source could be?

Wash off the engine top and bottom. Let it dry. Park the car ontop of a peace of cardboard. Let the engine warm up, heat full on for about 10-15 minutes then shut it off and look for leaks.

Subarus are hard to find some leaks on because they get blown away when the car is moving, especially coolant.

Suspects:

head gasket external leak.

Hairline crack in Radiator.

Leaking hose.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the suggestion Nipper.

Yep, I had a 2001. It's life ended at 130K when an inexperienced driver made a sudden left across traffic, and I happened to be "traffic" at 40ish mph.

Drum roll........head gaskets. But we've all been down this road a million times, and it seems like this is my second time. Nothing changes ;) Got to start all over again....sigh...

deadlegacy.jpg

Edited by kevinsUBARU

Yep, I had a 2001. It's life ended at 130K when an inexperienced driver made a sudden left across traffic, and I happened to be "traffic" at 40ish mph.

Drum roll........head gaskets. But we've all been down this road a million times, and it seems like this is my second time. Nothing changes ;)

Unfortunately, not much changes. I gave the link to the previous thread, not in recognition of your dearly departed 2001, but because it related to its HG problems.